Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slug Shock  (Read 122 times)

ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
Slug Shock
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »

Last year whilst clearing out the garage I came across some old electric cable. I spied the copper wire poking out of the rubber casing and had an idea..... slugs don't like copper. I cut off the rubber casing, ( took a bit of time but worth the effort) then stapled the strands of copper wire along the top of my raised beds, no slug damage so far. Last week I got some more cable from a skip, another job for a rainy day!
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Slug Shock
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »

No they don't like copper - it gives them an electric shock! They are very sensitive to very small currents, the copper has a tiny current induced into it through the process of electrolysis (the way a car battery works). The surface they are slithering on is one 'terminal' the copper wire is the other 'terminal' rainwater that is slightly acidic forms the electrolyte (like the 30 - 50% solution of sulphuric acid in a car battery). The result is a tiny current is produced - which we can't detect through our skin, but to a wet and slimy slug it's like getting a jolt. So they sensibly move away!

You can actually buy copper tape commercially to do the job. Salvaged copper conductors from old mains wiring works a treat.  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wrinkly1

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »

HB:-(thats o/k for travelling slugs . but a lot of the swine attack from within. and live below ground. life is just one long battle.    cheers.

squirrel

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
HB:-(thats o/k for travelling slugs . but a lot of the swine attack from within. and live below ground. life is just one long battle.    cheers.
Sounds a bit like my parish council ....  ROL :-))
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:36:21 AM »

Sounds a bit like my parish council ....  ROL :-))

God forbid! Slugs, lunatics & Parish Councillors - all candidates for electric shock treatment I reckon Fluffy!  ROL :-))

If you didn't laugh you'd have to cry wouldn't you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

rugbypost

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:43:01 PM »

ROL :-)) lol(1) Well Fluffy, you and B/GEE sure dislike a lot of people cmu:-) was going to write a few words in there defence Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx better stop there  ThU:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up