Author Topic: Slug Shock  (Read 230 times)

Offline ladybird

  • Full Plot Cultivator
  • ****
  • Posts: 286
Slug Shock
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Last year whilst clearing out the garage I came across some old electric cable. I spied the copper wire poking out of the rubber casing and had an idea..... slugs don't like copper. I cut off the rubber casing, ( took a bit of time but worth the effort) then stapled the strands of copper wire along the top of my raised beds, no slug damage so far. Last week I got some more cable from a skip, another job for a rainy day!
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Offline Big Gee

  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • *****
  • Posts: 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Slug Shock
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
No they don't like copper - it gives them an electric shock! They are very sensitive to very small currents, the copper has a tiny current induced into it through the process of electrolysis (the way a car battery works). The surface they are slithering on is one 'terminal' the copper wire is the other 'terminal' rainwater that is slightly acidic forms the electrolyte (like the 30 - 50% solution of sulphuric acid in a car battery). The result is a tiny current is produced - which we can't detect through our skin, but to a wet and slimy slug it's like getting a jolt. So they sensibly move away!

You can actually buy copper tape commercially to do the job. Salvaged copper conductors from old mains wiring works a treat.  ThU5:-)
 

Offline wrinkly1

  • ½ Plot Cultivator
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Re: Slug Shock
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
 HB:-(thats o/k for travelling slugs . but a lot of the swine attack from within. and live below ground. life is just one long battle.    cheers.

Offline squirrel

  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1275
Re: Slug Shock
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »
HB:-(thats o/k for travelling slugs . but a lot of the swine attack from within. and live below ground. life is just one long battle.    cheers.
Sounds a bit like my parish council ....  ROL :-))
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • *****
  • Posts: 7528
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Slug Shock
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:36:21 AM »
HB:-(thats o/k for travelling slugs . but a lot of the swine attack from within. and live below ground. life is just one long battle.    cheers.
Sounds a bit like my parish council ....  ROL :-))

God forbid! Slugs, lunatics & Parish Councillors - all candidates for electric shock treatment I reckon Fluffy!  ROL :-))

If you didn't laugh you'd have to cry wouldn't you?
 

Offline rugbypost

  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • *****
  • Posts: 649
Re: Slug Shock
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:43:01 PM »
 ROL :-)) lol(1) Well Fluffy, you and B/GEE sure dislike a lot of people cmu:-) was going to write a few words in there defence Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx better stop there  ThU:-)