Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
  • Physalis or Cape Gooseberry 3 1
Currently:  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Physalis or Cape Gooseberry  (Read 576 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Physalis or Cape Gooseberry
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"I'll settle up with you for the postage later. Better get the cane frame out then!!"

You've GOT to be joking! I'd say I was in your debt my friend.

THANKS  YRTB

My treasured 'core' stock will be on it's way to you over the weekend.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 08:03:08 AM »

All but one of the Physalis plants survived the winter so they have just been planted into one of the borders in the now fully glazed old greenhouse. I just reread one of Tommo's earlier posts where he suggests that they can each spread up to about 6 feet. I have 8 plants each less than a foot apart so could be getting quite busy in there. Not sure whether I should be cutting them all back or just let them get on with it? The other thing is are they likely to survive another winter or should I be planting fresh seed now  so that I have replacement plants ready for next year?

Having read back over from the beginning of this topic I am pleased to say that the Gigante physalis I am growing is, indeed, perennial. I didn't even cover it up this winter as we were set to depart for la Belle France. I was clearing the greenhouse  ready for a bit of low key personal planting and there they were - several strong shoots. OK so we had a mild'ish winter but this is still impressive.

It's their 3rd year so I'm assuming that they are perennial.

On the subject of your 5 plants at 1 foot apart, Wonky, I would take all but 1 out and stick the rest outside...otherwise I fear you will not get into your greenhouse this year. Keep us posted. Of course yours may not be the same variety as mine (the clue is in the word 'Gigante' ). Yours might be a more manageable size.

I would like a few seeds if you would care to send me some (postage re-paid of course) and I will trial the flavour next to mine.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:06:36 AM by Poppa Tommo »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Princess Starryshapes

• “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  • ¾ Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Starryshapes
  • throwing down my Starryshapes, Gardening styles...
    • Live Abundance
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 06:44:34 AM »

I have no idea what I am doing saving seeds but if last year is anything to go by we will have loads of left over beans so I am happy to contribute to the stock of seeds if anyone wants me to. I live on the edge of a council estate and I am pretty sure there are not many growers out here because whenever I mention to anyone that we grow our own veg they look at me astonished like I am mad and preparing for some kind of apocalypse (I am, but don't tell anyone, r they will all want my beans),anyway, we also live on the edge of a conservation area so I dunno if that fits the 'wilderness' criteria of your bean stock, but whatever we don't eat or pickle, I can leave on my plants to dry and send them to you if that's any help Big Gee? I'm sure I could get a hundred or so spare seeds if tat's any good to you? How many do you get in a pod of these wondrous beans? I can plan how many not to pick then..... I'm willing to be frugal with them if it's gonna help them to survive!! I have 9 very happy plants out of 10 beans that you sent me so I'm fairly sure that will yield a fair few beanz.....

Also, yes I am THRILLED that they aren't going to France, We will be going up to stay with Mumma and Poppa Tommo on the 2nd of July until the 6th or 7th, depending on how long they'll have us for.... I literally yesterday asked my wonderful next door neighbour to help me to ensure the survival of our bountiful garden whilst we are away and he is going to make sure everything get's watered for us. So we will come back, no doubt to a zillion veggies and fruit, we're going to tell him to pick anything that is of edible size and eat it so that the plants keep on producing, t's only in 3 weeks but the weather is so fabulous that I am convinced that there will be at least some stuff that will be ready to eat by the time we are away (tomatoes, I'm looking at you....)

Anyway, yay or nay on the saving beans offer?! I won't offended if my beans are not suitable for saving,I'll just head off into a corner and sulk for a few days because it means that you hate me and my garden.... hahaha joke, my dad will get it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:48:58 AM by Princess Starryshapes »
“You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You-only you-will have stars that can laugh.”
―Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 01:52:29 PM »

That's very kind of you Starryshapes! As long as they haven't been cross pollinated by some other amorous variety in the near vicinity. They usually produce about seven beans per pod, although your dad is currently trying to expand that to eight or nine (he's determined to be the one to produce the 'improved' strain!). He kept eight bean seeds from the pods that produced them last year, and he's segregated them for special attention. Good ain't he?

As I won't be growing any myself this year, I'm depending on my trusty grower from Crediton for the requests that will go out this coming autumn. Any pure bred 'extras' from his daughter would be a welcome addition. THANKS!

YRTB
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 10:37:36 PM »

On the subject of your 8 plants at 1 foot apart, Wonky, I would take all but 1 out and stick the rest outside...otherwise I fear you will not get into your greenhouse this year. Keep us posted. Of course yours may not be the same variety as mine (the clue is in the word 'Gigante' ). Yours might be a more manageable size.

I think I should have heeded some of that advice! Just back from a fortnight's holiday and find that I have been evicted from the greenhouse. The left hand side is a wall of physalis from ground level to the apex. The canes that were holding it back are now leaning at an alarming angle. There are loads of lanterns so a promising crop in prospect.

The right hand side isn't much better with the tomatoes in overdrive. Somewhere in the middle are the sweet potatoes and at the back a fig tree growing at a faster rate than any weed could but at least there are some figs.

Intermingled with that lot are 4 cucumber plants and loads of cucumbers. I can see them but can't get in to pick them.

Time to sharpen the machete!!
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »

A jungle under glass by the sounds of it Wonky.

Any reason for having the fig tree pampered in the greenhouse? They are real growers and can quickly get out of hand. My Brown Turkey fig was rampant outside and produced fantastic crops every year. I know it's colder up north, but I'm sure it would do just as well outside for you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up