Author Topic: Do we want to grow up?  (Read 370 times)

Offline squirrel

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Do we want to grow up?
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:35:52 PM »
 HB:-( I don't think I have ever heard so many people saying about so many things that "they should do something" or "why don't they do something"

I have just come from a meeting with a group of people from another section of the community who are also have absurd problems with the parish council. Their homes are the equivalent of the stock-broker belt of the village.

what:-{ Could I get one of them to look outside their own gripe and look at the wider issue. All of them were intelligent enough to see, count and explain the numerous wrong doings of the PC but all I kept hearing was "there must be someone with the authority to do something"

If the old nanny state has indeed been removed at local level, and if we really do have a real say on what goes on in our own communities with rights and powers to challenge and confront even to the point of forcing a referendum, then surely to goodness WE are the ones who should do something.  HB:-(

And yet successful, intelligent, highly trained people seem to shout for nanny every time something goes wrong in their street.  ss:-(

I don't want a nanny I just want a sensible discussion about what we can do, do we want to do it and how and when will we do it.

I think I have a lot of sympathy for those prophets of old, like Noah, who couldn't get anyone to listen.  HB:-(
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Do we want to grow up?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
Welcome to my world Fluffy! I've felt like John the Baptiser for decades (a voice in the wilderness). I wish you and I shared the same village!  ss:-(

Offline squirrel

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:01:20 AM »
I haven't done yet BG. I have just joined CPALC Communities, parish and local councils as an advanced member and I am finding all sorts of breaches of mandatory things the PC is not doing. All I can do is keep sowing seeds in the hope that some of them will germinate in the minds of the people who are complaining.

I have come to the conclusion that I was always destined to be a gardener and not just the horticultural type. The only way I ever seem to get someone to listen is when I can find someone who comes back thinking it was their idea in the first place. It's a darned good job the important stuff is too important to worry about whose idea it was and I just want someone to take it on-board .. LOL

I reckon there are a few of us around that could make some big changes if we were in the same village, but I also know that there are no guarantees it would be any better .  CW ;-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
There's a big problem in our society where the focus has shifted from an attitude of social concience coupled with a giving and sharing effort for the benefit of others to a selfish self centred "look after No 1" attitude - to the detriment of all others. It's endemic and you see it at all levels from business, government (central & local) right down to schools & leisure activities. The common denominator is selfishness & self promotion in order to gain as much as possible for self. Until that changes we will continually see these problems. This is often manifested in apathy - "who cares as long as I'm personally OK" seems to be the order of the day.

Those who try to oppose that are in the minority and get ignored by the majority or are labelled as trouble makers. Shall we start a new colony on a desert island somewhere Fluffy? We'll only invite the right people to live with us. (I wish!).  HTT:-}

Offline squirrel

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
 usf:-( sadly I agree. I think this will be known as the age of Individualism  ss:-(

Offline uriel 13

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
Hi Squirrel,
                It is interesting to note that there is no word for "I"  as far as I know in any of the native American languages " one talks for all and all talk as one as in WE". Its the community that counts not the individual. Our common folk about 70 years ago had the same mentality, but its mostly gone now, Old Maggie Thatcher saw to that stating that there was only the individual.
"The mind is like a parachute, its totally useless unless its open"

Offline squirrel

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
I agree uriel.
When I was growing up 'the neighbours mattered' and despite the occasional irritation or intrusion, everyone knew everyone's business.

If you achieved at anything the 'neighbours' would be so proud of you and tell you so. But don't even think of being 'proud' of yourself, that was seen as arrogant and boastful and you would soon be remembered for your runny nose and dirty nappies as a kid.

This may have been embarrassing, or infuriating at times but there was a real sense of belonging to a community. Yes there were splits and differences but you knew someone had your back.

Now it's all gimme gimme gimme and me me me . Kids have everything they want laid out on a plate, but very little of what they need. Right now I would happily join a native American tribe. 

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 12:49:59 AM »
Amen to that!  ThU432:-)

Offline simongrow778

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
    • greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 04:27:33 AM »
squirrel wrote:
usf:-( sadly I agree. I think this will be known as the age of Individual

Why you wrote that?
what's happening here.. you didn't enjoy the forum?

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »
It's a wonder some of these people know how to wipe their own arses!

Thing is we just need to keep on keeping on. THEY will come and go, as frustrating as it is; and THEY will be replaced by others.

The middle line is what we strive for. Resolutely staying grounded, keeping our hands in the earth and shrugging off the shit thrown at us by these caged gorillas. THEY are the ones who are imprisoned by their own delusions of power. Ours is the gift of awareness, friendship and knowledge, and, holding on to vision and hope; tenderness and love.

Never let go of that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing