Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Bokashi & how to make it  (Read 230 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
What is Bokashi & how to make it
« on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:21 AM »

EM Bokashi

EM Bokashi is organic material that has been fermented with EM, molasses and water under anaerobic conditions. The resultant material is a wonderful soil improver, not only because it is nutrient rich but also because the EMs have multiplied and can rapidly combine with the soil to both improve the soil structure and create a disease suppressing soil.

EM Bokashi can be made from a variety of organic materials, including animal waste such as cow and horse manure or green waste.

EM Bokashi Bran

EM Bokashi bran is wheat bran that has been fermented with EM, molasses and water. It can be used to 'compost' kitchen waste in a 'bokashi bucket' or as a nutritional supplement for animals - especially ruminants - such as horses as well as poultry. The EMs in the bran not only improve the gut flora, making digestion more efficient, but they also have probiotic qualities which will improve the animals health and boost their immune systems.

EM Bokashi Bran Supplies

Sustainable Soil and Water Ltd makes and supplies EM Bokashi bran. If you are looking for a small supply of Bokashi bran for composting kitchen waste on-line, check out this site this site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Watch this video giving a practical demonstration of how to make Bokashi. Or ask our resident expert on the subject SQUIRREL!

<object width="640" height="385"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/96fSXccQx9Q&fs=1&start="></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/96fSXccQx9Q&fs=1&start=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

squirrel

Re: What is Bokashi & how to make it
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »

Great video BG and one I have not seen before. However I have done this sort of thing from other similar videos and it worked.

BUT! have you heard the saying about giving a lazy man the job if you want to find a shortcut?
Well I found a shortcut and a cheaper way. I bought horse chaff, with molasses added, from a rural store, (can be bought on line) where I got around 12 to 15 kg of the stuff for less than a tenner and just mixed my EMs into that then buried it under hungry plants.

A whole bag of the stuff went into the making of my raised beds in my poly-tunnel
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

squirrel

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:37 AM »

Some useful information here too

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »

Thanks Fluffy - a good site. Excellent info.  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

squirrel

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »

Lots of good information out there it is just a case of choosing which speaks to your own interests.  :)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »

This may be of interest ...Dont know if theres already something on here to explain this ..

ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

squirrel

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:48:37 PM »

That sounds fascinating Scary and I would love to know what microorganisms are in there. It just may be a missing bit of a jigsaw. This is not what has become known as EMs because that is a term used by Sustains for their product. Even though it certainly sounds like a different group of effective microorganisms which requires a different growing climate i.e. refrigeration as apposed to a higher temperature.

However there are sites I saw when I first started and information was more freely acceptable, and this would be a sort of starter medium which you would take and put in a wide necked container. Then take it outside put a fine mesh cover over it to keep out litter and unwanted wildlife. Place it in an organically rich area where it can escape disturbance, such as under shrubs or bushes. It can then become infected wioth the wild yeasts and fungi etc which thrive in your local habitat.
After 10 days, bring in and strain. Add 50mls molasses to every litre. Place in a jar and fill to leave only a little airspace. Add an airlock and put it in a warm dark place for 10 to 14 days.

According to the reports you will then have locally grown microorganisms that work and grow in exactly the same way as EMs

I want to try yours though scary and see what it tastes like and what it works with.

Oh my what a trio. Kombucha, EMs and then the scarybrew.
Why sir I could conquer the world
 lol(1)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 01:16:56 AM »

Scary brew  ROL :-)) sounds like a drink for winos ..So glad you found it interesting would be interested to hear the outcome if you try this ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up