Author Topic: Lawns  (Read 409 times)

Offline Gray

• ½ Plot Cultivator
Lawns
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
January may not be the time to be thinking about the Lawn......so I must be on my own because I'm thinking about them and can see that they will need some sorting out with all the rain that they have had. Even now if I could get out there I would just take the top of them.

I will start to sort them early March ( if I can ) first I will give them a light rake and then give them a cut with the mower set high, I will then leave them for 4 day's and apply a Lawn Sand....may be a joke..but if the Sun is out then don't apply it....do it when its dull and if it doesn't rain within 48hrs of applying it...another joke there... then water it in with an hose, this way you will not scorch the grass. The Lawn sand will sort out the Moss and at the same time will make the grass nice and green.

In April I will give it a General feed with Weed/Feed/Moss killer and again I will make sure that I water it in well, later on in the year I will give it a Soluble Feed and then in September I will turn to a Autumn feed.

I cut my Lawns twice a week...........Remember - If your grass wants cutting today then you should have cut it yesterday

Keeping the Lawns looking nice WILL set the rest of the Garden off........and yes I DO water mine.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Lawns
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
A few good tips there Gray - thanks.

The only thing I would be careful with is the 'Weed/Feed/Moss killer'. As others are probably already aware you have to be very careful with grass clippings that are used off a lawn that has had substances like that added to it.

I collect grass clippings from our cul-de-sac neighbours to use as compost & mulch on my allotment plot. However after a bad experience in the past I now make double sure that anyone who puts bags of grass clippings out for me give an ssurance that they have not treated their lawns with herbicides beforehand. It can have a devastating effect.

If like me you grow organically then ANY poison needs to be kept away from any plants you grow to eat.

Offline Gray

• ½ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:35:39 PM »
Yes BG....should have put for those who compost grass clippings not to use them for up to 4 weeks I think it is.....it does tell you on the back of the box of these feeds.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:08:35 PM »
Yes BG....should have put for those who compost grass clippings not to use them for up to 4 weeks I think it is.....it does tell you on the back of the box of these feeds.

Yep. The real problem is when someone gives you a couple of bags of contaminated stuff & you're not aware of it! That can be a real kick in the crotch!!!  what:-o

Offline squirrel

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
My garden at home is not big enough to support lawn so I do try to beg grass clippings from neighbours. Believe it or not I feel I am safer using the clippings from those who are not gardeners and only cut their lawns because it has got to the point where they have to. These friends and neighbours do not spend time or money on their lawn any more than they absolutely have to. So I am more confident that they will not have spent the time or money on treating their lawns to anything more than a hair cut.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Gray

• ½ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Think for me this has all gone the wrong way.........it was meant to be caring for your Lawns and not about composting grass cuttings.

Offline squirrel

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
Sorry gray,  usf:-(

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »
Oh dear! Time to pick the toys up again  ss:-(

Does your cruelty know no bounds Fluffy?  :-)snigger

Offline Gray

• ½ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
No worries Squirrel.....it just turned into a load of compost.

The toys went on the compost heap BG with the grass cuttings CW ;-)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
Hope you checked there were no plastic or rubber ones in there Gray!  cwl:-]

Offline Gray

• ½ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 03:23:11 PM »
Knew that was coming ROL :-))........was going to say beware of the toxins cwl:-]

Offline squirrel

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
Compost is good Gray, but I do miss my lawn, I had a big one in my old house, but then again I also had a big garden too.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
Missed my front lawn it,s a few inches deep in willow leaves got fed up of raking them up when i do rake the lawn will be gone will need to resow when the weather changes ..