Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy on the nitrogen!  (Read 124 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Easy on the nitrogen!
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:36:07 AM »

If you are growing directly out of the earth within your greenhouse/ polytunnel it will be necessary to replenish the nutrients at frequent intervals. Be careful not to add too much nitrogen as it is harder for the light to break down compared to outdoors and it can easily accumulate in the soil. Ideally you should test your soil annually to maintain the correct levels. This is not always possible and for ease of use a lot of gardeners grow direct from pots or grow bags which normally come with growth nutrients included. ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

squirrel

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: Easy on the nitrogen!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »

Another nugget of wisdom from BG. I do a bit of both in my poly tunnel. In order to give the ground a bit more time to recover I will use a couple of growbags which I put into different area each year.

I also plunge upturned plastic bottles leaving only an inch or so above ground. I don't leave the tops on so that they will drain faster. I do this so that I can get water into the lower levels of my raised beds because I find that this is where it can become very dry even when the top level seems moist.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »

clap:-) Now that's a good idea Squirrel I got raised beds I might try that thanks.  ThU:-)

squirrel

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »

Thanks Dave. :)
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Another nugget of wisdom from BG. I do a bit of both in my poly tunnel. In order to give the ground a bit more time to recover I will use a couple of growbags which I put into different area each year.

I also plunge upturned plastic bottles leaving only an inch or so above ground. I don't leave the tops on so that they will drain faster. I do this so that I can get water into the lower levels of my raised beds because I find that this is where it can become very dry even when the top level seems moist.

Thank you for your kind praises Fluffy!

I tend to do that as well squirrel. I use ring culture for my toms & the spent (peat of course) compost gets added to the borders at the end of the season. However the rest get grown directly in the polytunnel borders. That way I don't get an excessive nitrogen build up.
  ThU32:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

rugbypost

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »

We all must have had the same teacher  ThU:-) we seem to do all the these things well .Travellers years ago passing through villages and towns  or working people on farms passing on all there tips same as Chat rooms and computers today You could switch them off and we could still communicate its only lost on this generation .
Pages: [1]   Go Up