Author Topic: Pretty flowers on your potato plants?  (Read 295 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Pretty flowers on your potato plants?
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »
Some do some don't - depending on the variety. If you get flowers on your potato plants, they're drawing energy away from the tubers underground.

A trick to make your potatoes grow a tad bigger is to keep an eye on the plant, to see if they produce flowers. If they do pinch them out, this will save the plant energy and will help them focus on tuber production. 

Not recommended if you have a forty acre field of spuds!!! BUT on a lottie with limited rows every little helps.  CW ;-)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: Pretty flowers on your potato plants?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »
Well i never knew that ....Something else you have taught me true what they say everydays a school day .. ThU5:-)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
You really are a great font of useful information BG. I didn't know that either. In fact I was always taught to watch the stages of flowering to decide when to harvest. I will give this one a try this year, many thanks  YRTB
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
You really are a great font of useful information BG. I didn't know that either. In fact I was always taught to watch the stages of flowering to decide when to harvest. I will give this one a try this year, many thanks  YRTB

You're quite right Fluffy. the age old way of deciding when to start lifting your earlies is when the flowers appear. However once you can see the flowers are developing in a row - you've got your signal so you can start digging. The whole point of lifting 'earlies' as soon as flowers appear is to catch them small and at the height of their flavour. You can then pinch out the flowers in the rest of the row - because that special time has arrived!. Mind you some varieties don't produce flowers - so you could be waiting a long time  >:(

When it comes to maincrop you don't lift them until the haulms have started to die down - so the flower signal is of no use anyway!  CW ;-)

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »
Another Gem cheers Gwilym I have always let the flowers die back like you say if they flower  chrs:-)

Offline squirrel

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
Problem is that I often find my main-crop's are still flush with green leaves long after everyone else had lifted and stored theirs. I have sometimes had them still flowering and standing tasll in mid November  ss:-(

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
Problem is that I often find my main-crop's are still flush with green leaves long after everyone else had lifted and stored theirs. I have sometimes had them still flowering and standing tasll in mid November  ss:-(

Don't knock it too much Fluffy. Around here by that time everyone is crying in their beer cos Mr Blight has come visiting and left his calling card!!  what:-{

Offline squirrel

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »
Oooh this is only when I don't get knocked back by blight, which has been every year for the past 2 or 3.  usf:-(

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:58:17 PM »
It's been a bad few years for it nationwide Fluffy. Wet & humid in the summer months - deadly!