Author Topic: Interesting allotment finds perhaps?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Interesting allotment finds perhaps?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Isn't allotment plot archaeology interesting? When I found an old horeshoe an (ancient) local man who was nearly 90 told me he remembers two horses being kept on the field in the late twenties/ early thirties - but no horses after that. So my old horseshoe has a bit of history as well!

That Hitler coin was a REAL find though galina.

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »
The tops look like old pop stoppers I was looking at the whistle they were used by all BY All Air Crew by all Nations even the Americans if they could get one  (AM)Air  Ministery.  The Numbers are Stores and Reference Numbers Air Crew used the to find each other in case of disposal upon ditching worth around £40 pound depending on condition.

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 09:54:55 PM »
The tops look like old pop stoppers I was looking at the whistle they were used by all BY All Air Crew by all Nations even the Americans if they could get one  (AM)Air  Ministery.  The Numbers are Stores and Reference Numbers Air Crew used the to find each other in case of disposal upon ditching worth around £40 pound depending on condition.

Interesting and a real piece of history.  The pen and the mustard spoon you found might also be worth a bob or two, Leaningshed?

Has anybody ever dabbled in metal detectors around the allotment?  Guess there will be a lot of dross, but there might be some good finds.

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 11:38:29 PM »
The metal detector sounds a good idea galina but I really think I'm managing quite well without! The following pictures are of metal and glass dug out by hand so far!!!

lol(1)

leaningshed
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:47:10 PM by leaningshed »

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:40 PM »
You have got a big job on your hands there think your be digging that stuff out for a good while yet .. :)

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
Hi Ya, very interesting. The stoppers shown are from bottles of pop years ago. I remeber them in those days when you got a refund on the bottles. The number on the whistle could a pesonel number fro the owner. The L would designate where they joined up and the personel number who it was. I have found a few odd ments like the odd clay pipe (broken) victorian glass bottle stoppers, An old small bottle with a marble inside and I was told it was to stop pouring to much. I did find a track rod from and old car once and at the time some one has just dug a whole car out the ground so I thought here we go but lickily the track rod was all I found. Happy gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
Wouldn't it be fantastic if the whistle could be reunited with it's original owner (if they're still alive). I wouldn't be surpeised if it made the tail end news item on the telly . . . "And finally a gardener called Leaning Shed recently dug up a World War 2 whistle on his allotment plot. Today the whistle was reunited with it's original 90 year old war veteran owner who refused to accept it as he threw it away in the hope of getting rid of it in 1943 . . . " lol(1)

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 07:46:23 PM »
 ROL :-)) ROL :-)) ROL :-)) That broken glass would put me off you are a brave man Lottieguy you deserve this months medal for allotment clearing  how many trip to the dump have you done! clap:-)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 07:58:27 PM »
ROL :-)) ROL :-)) ROL :-)) That broken glass would put me off you are a brave man Lottieguy you deserve this months medal for allotment clearing  how many trip to the dump have you done! clap:-)

This months medal more like this years medal  lol(1)

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
This award is coming from Aeronvale not Buck House  scary we can not afford a garden party   lol(1)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »
This award is coming from Aeronvale not Buck House  scary we can not afford a garden party   lol(1)

Oh never realised that just a weekly medal then  ROL :-))..Must have the patience of a saint clearing that allotment ...

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »
St. 'PLOT'amus!  ROL :-))

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
In reply to lottieguy all whistles of that type have identical numbers so unfortunately the numbers are of no use in tracing the original owner. Rugbypost has it right in saying  AM = Air  Ministry, 23/230 was the RAF stores number but still not sure the purpose of the other numbers The same numbers are used on all whistles of that type. Reference Numbers yes but for what?

As I understand they were to be used in the event of an aircraft being ditched so that the aircrew could find each other. However if you had just ditched in enemy territory would you really want to be peeping your position to all and sundry. To say the least it doesn't peep quietly!!

It would be great BG if the whistle could be attributed to a particular person and would make for a fascinating story. It may have belonged to an earlier plot holder but it could easily have come along with all the other rubbish. I might yet get around to asking the council if they have a list of all previous plot holders and see if it is possible to make a link to someone.

Suppose there is always the possibility that the aircraft ditched on the allotment and one of the aircrew dropped his whistle! I'll have to dig deeper there maybe a Lancaster down there some where! ROL :-))

leaningshed
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:19:08 AM by leaningshed »

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 12:48:25 AM »
Well RP I really don't know how many trips to the dump but this little lot filled 149 builders buckets:

I was able to take 10 buckets at a time to the dumpit site so that was 15 trips. cry2:-(

But the bigger lumps required a further 2 trips: cry2:-( cry2:-(

So 17 trips for the rubble 3 for glass, metal and other rubbish, 12 trips for clay so could be close on 40 trips so far! cry2:-( cry2:-( cry2:-(

leaningshed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:39:16 PM by leaningshed »

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »
That is a mammoth task.  What on earth was on that plot previously? A building?  That is an unusual amount of rubbish.  You deserve an award for clearing all that.  At least you had a few good finds amongst all that.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Possibly a landfill site  chkl:-]

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
Quite simply a builder (self employed, one man band, bar steward) had it between about 1999 and maybe 2009. It would seem that all the waste from his building projects had simply been dumped and eventually buried. I'm fairly sure he even dumped clay from the foundation trenches of his new build house on the allotment. That house is about 50 yards from the allotment at the beginning of the lane.

At first appearances the plot just looked over grown and once cleared still looked ok with just one concrete stump left on the surface. An old guy worked it for a couple of years after the builder and seemed to be making a success of it.

However once I started digging it soon became apparent that there was nowhere on the plot where I could push a spade in to its full depth without striking rubble of some sort - be it brick, stone, concrete, metal, asbestos, wood, glass, plastic and so on. It was obvious that major work was going to have to be done if the plot was going to be workable in the future. There are over 200 pictures of the work as it progressed on that link to my facebook album 'The Allotment' which is repeated here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3656286400352.150142.1070360866&type=1&l=5114d84130

Enjoy! oh and  HAGD :-)

leaningshed.

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »
Hi Ya, could be right about the whistle now I think on Leaning shed. I remember that our life preservers we wore when flying had whistles attached to them in a little pocket so you could alert searchers or other crew if you ditched especially at night as we were always told stick together where possible.
 HTT:-}
As for the weekly/monthly medal and having seen the piccies Leaning shed placed thats the one one for me deserving the madel and showing some resilience in the face of adversity. That sounded good didn't it.  cwl:-] Happy Gardening.

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »
You have worked hard but your car has worked the hardest carrying all the rubble to the dump you will need a few ton of manure to feed that soil going to take a look at all your photos if you find a medal pin you your chest with pride . ThU:-)

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
found a two pence coin so screwed it to the gate post of my plot some one nicked it  ROL :-))
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)