Author Topic: Interesting allotment finds perhaps?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Interesting allotment finds perhaps?
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:14:43 PM »
Have you found anything interesting on your lottie?

This is a collection of 44 jars and bottles that have been dug from the ground over the last season. Item 45 dug out on Sunday is being cleaned and will be added shortly!

leaningshed

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: Interesting allotment finds perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
 cwl:-] Are you another of these people they call HOARDERS What on earth are you going to do with that lot AND YOU HAVE WASHED EM!!!  doh:-{
 mad:-|  what:-{

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
Not so hasty Dave! Where there's muck there's brass they say. That looks like an interesting collection leaningshed - I hate throwing things away as well. People like Dave who calls people like us HOARDERS are the ones who dump Old Masters in dustbins when clearing attics and die pennyless in an empty (tidy) house!  CW ;-)

Some of those look quite old and could bring in a couple of bob if you showed them to a collector. And if they're worthless well they still look good. It's a momento of your hard work & they don't eat or drink anything that you have to provide out of your pocket.

Yes I'm a hoarder & VERY proud of it. It shows off my poor working class background - where we appreciated anything that came from anywhere for nothing! I have an old horseshoe that I came across when I first dug my plot - it's worthless (and I'm not superstitious) but it deserves to be kept because it obviously has some history attached to it.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »
All i found on mine was half a dozen metal tent pegs and loads of those white plastic plant labels . :)

Offline ladybird

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
Good crop!!......never thought you could grow them. chkl:-]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:42:21 PM by ladybird »
There is no better show of anticipation than a man/woman sowing seeds in a field.

Offline rugbypost

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
I,m with B/G THAT Looks very interesting Leaningshed have you looked there  uses at all a very tidy find. Sorry to say there was a couple of old shop signs on my plot but they had seen better days and could not be saved  ThU:-)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:05 PM »
Had better finds than tony he dug up a pair of sandals some shirts and socks and 520 handbags  cwl:-]

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »
Apart from those scary absolutely nothing and that is after triple digging two allotments.  If I had found some treasure or even an oil well it might have made it a more worth while activity. 

Having said that the treasure is the enjoyment and the harvest.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »
Yes tony your treasure will be the harvest this year after all the hard work you have put into that allotment .. Well deserved treasure aswell with how you have been grafting hope it,s all still going well .. :)

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »
Not been doing any digging for the past two weeks now scary - the trench is full of water.  So I've been laying the concrete slab path alongside the allotment and transplanting the old allotment plants onto the new. 

Planted all the potted up strawberries, started to plant sages alongside the path - I grew them from seed and got lots of them so they make a good edging.  Sage also gives off a wonderful foliage scent even when it is not crushed.  I finished off a bay hedge alongside the main trackway- all the bays were grown from cuttings and I got lots of them to strike.  Not a difficult subject to take cuttings off - I don't know why they cost so much in garden centres. 

Finally planted the grape properly and pruned it to the guyot system which I have never done before - my vines have been hit or miss for years. 

Slowly emptying the comfrey liquid barrel and storing the liquid in old dustbins on the new allotment.  I can only move the big barrel when it is empty.  I will be putting some charcoal into the dustbins as well. 

As the dug area of the allotment was getting battered by the rain, I took the old carpets and tarpaulins off the undug area and covered the good soil.  Hopefully that will help to keep it friable. 

You go down to the allotment for half an hour and eight or nine hours later you look at your watch and ask where all the time has gone. cwl:-]

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Well i think it will look good when you finally get it all done i kow it,s a lot of work but it will be how you want it and you will know what is below the surface ..So take it easy dont overdo it your get there in the end ..Looking forward to the finished pictures ..

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
I'm looking forward to the finished pictures too scary.  I'm taking it very easy.  Concrete slabs can be evil if they have a mind. 

Been complaining about my back but shouldn't do.  Nothing to what you have to put up with.  I just hope that I finish the path before the back gets worse. 

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »
Yes thats why i said dont overdo it tony dont want to end up like me on a handfull of painkillers a day for the rest of my days better to take it easy and be able to enjoy it ,,Just do a little bit at a time you are well in front with the works ..

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
A large flask of tea and a few doughnuts is all I need to get me to have breaks scary. 

A good lean back in my white plastic garden chair and contemplate how much I have done.  ;D

Oh and things I have found on the new allotment that I forgot about: A large mattock fork, which I had never seen before but ideal for ridging potatoes very heavy though it is made entirely of iron.  Two shovels; one serviceable the other with a broken handle both very heavy with iron handles, a good spade, fork, hoe, hand fork and trowel; lots of canes, nets, two dustbins, a wheely bin, an enormous tarpaulin, lots of wood, pallets, a shed fitted out to be a toilet!! two rusted oil drums which I will have to take down to the tip; and an enormous length of rusted concrete reinforcing wire; and that's just the things I can think of here.   

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »
Yes must admit a flask of tea/coffee and something to eat is a good idea it makes you stop for a while and rest and reflect on what you have done and what you need to be doing ....

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:41 AM »
And mean while back to allotment finds!

A Platinum school pen
An insulator
2 meccano pieces
A tyre
A thimble
A number 7 (there was also a 5 but that is now screwed to the shed door)
A mustard spoon
2 stoppers (not sure if these are from bottles or batteries) however the one on the right is embossed 'War Grade'

However the most interesting of all so far is the following whistle:

This whistle would seem to be a RAF aircrew survival whistle dating from 1943 which after cleaning up works just as it should and is complete with its little wooden ball. How that came to be in the soil where now stands my greenhouse I would love to know!

leaningshed
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:52:57 PM by leaningshed »

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:13 AM »
Well that whistle was made to last ...Was your allotment built on the local tip ? Be nice to know what all the numbers are about on that whistle ..

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 01:38:46 AM »
Well it looks like AM = Air Ministry
and 23/230 was the RAF's store number but so far no idea about the other number.

leaningshed
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:40:30 AM by leaningshed »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:36 AM »
I love this kind of stuff! Do you realise that that memorabilia is now at least 70 years old.

A crying shame for them to be discarded. Even if they aren't worth much, the job of restoring them like that is a hobby in itself and very satisfying. Well done you!  ThU:-)

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 08:03:43 AM »
I have got a collection of old flagons and old milk bottles too, but they are all broken!!! And the bits don't go together to make a full specimen.  Old fashioned nails badly rusted and a few shards of Great Auntie Elsie's best china.  Nothing as good as you have found. 

When we had an allotment in the South of the county, I found several tiny fossils of sea snails, none bigger than half an inch across, most broken.  Maybe triple digging would have brought up much better specimen  chkl:-] but that is all just too much work for my back in our heavy clay.  I found one badly deteriorated coin from Hitler Germany.  When I asked the neighbours who had been living there forever, I was told that there had been a prisoner of war camp and the prisoners were growing potatoes on that land.