Author Topic: Campaign for seed sovreignty  (Read 337 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Campaign for seed sovreignty
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
For our FORUM members who would like a bit more information, please follow this link:

http://www.seed-sovereignty.org/EN/

Also download this PDF file:

Offline Tony

• Full Plot Cultivator
  • I'd rather be gardening
    • Allotment Garden
Re: Campaign for seed sovreignty
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
The International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (IT PGRFA) - Uk is a contracting party ?  What on earth does this mean?  Does it mean that we have signed up for the treaty or what?  How binding is it? 

I recon that they have to ban the sale of seeds except the ones that are certified because there is no way that they can tell whether home produced seeds are genetically identical to ones bought from a seed merchant.  With cross overs, mutations, deletions, reversals, viable duplications and a general mixing up of genes that sexual reproduction produces, anything produced in the garden or on the farm must be genetically different. 

If they say that a free for all will stop their research because they cannot claim intellectual property then I say good.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Campaign for seed sovreignty
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
A bit of a funny word to use that isn't it "contracting". My guess is that it's intentional ambiguism.

Yes - keep the genetic broth mixed up and on the burner I say, and if it prevents "research" of the kind we've already seen - HOORAY!