Poll

What action would you adopt if the new EU Seed Law comes into force?

I would abide by it and only grow what I am allowed to
I would break the law at the risk of prosecution
I would look for ways to dodge the legislation
I don't really care about the proposed legislation

Author Topic: Would you break the Law for the freedom to grow what you want?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Btoe

• ¾ Plot Cultivator
Re: Would you break the Law for the freedom to grow what you want?
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
I'd really love to see how the hell they can possibly police this proposed legislation, typical of the EU more bollocks that we just don't need!!! C:-) >:D lol

Offline squirrel

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
I think they will do what they always do. Set up pilot studies in areas with less clout and make examples of those who do not comply in those areas. Then they will water the policy down to what it was they wanted in the first place so that they can get it passed whilst allowing the gullible Joe Public to think they have scored a victory goal by getting those changes through.

Cynical? Darned right I am
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
Not just cynical squirrel - you've hit the nail on the head - that's EXACTLY what the game is. The 'globals' get what they wanted, Joe Public is shackled - thinking he's got a victory & the politicians go back to their gravy train to wait for their reward from the 'globals'. It's a nasty merry-go-round - and it works for them at our expense and the expense of the environment itself. But do they care? NO.

Offline NigelB

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
Now you know, or you will, how growers of a certain pain-relieving plant have felt since the 70's. ......  :'(

The only way to police what's proposed will probably be the way they try to police that plant.  C:-) After all, they are already geared up for it.

They'll come, mob-handed, smashing straight through the door, shouting at the top of their lungs, taking pleasure in breaking what they can and strewing it far and wide.
Then you'll do the walk of shame , hands cuffed behind your back, and straight into the back of a police car.
You'll be searched, booked in, relieved of shoelaces, coats etc, and shown your cell where you can stew until they decide its time for your interview.
Then it really starts to cost you money. You'll need a solicitor, of course, so you'll wait for him/her to arrive first. Time off work, fines. Re-stocking your seeds and equipment. Repairing your property..
And on it goes..... All for the sake of a plant!

And you all thought it could never happen.

The greatest weapon 'they' have in their whole inventory, is our own apathy towards politics. :(

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
Hi NigelB - nice to have you on-board! Welcome to our little 'Chat-Shed'.

You've certainly given us a graphic picture there of what powers are available to the law. I've listened carefully to what Paul Flynn MP has said over the years about the ludicrousy of the law about pain relieving plants that are listed as 'illegal' to grow or process. He makes a lot of sense and I'm not opposed to his argument. There is a degree of madness tied up with the law on illegal plants.

Never more mad than when you're a law breaker for keeping the seeds of plants that provide the food you need to live!

I think this is a numbers game Nigel. My guess is that there are a lot more seed savers within the gardening fraternity than there are pain relieving plant growers. It will be one hell of a job to police this section of society - on numbers grounds alone. At least I HOPE I'm right!

Offline squirrel

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 11:16:07 PM »
Welcome on site nigelB come in look around and I am sure you will find lots of interest here.

As for that little plant I could be using a bit of that right now if I had it.
I saw just the sort of incident you describe through the door of a neighbour. More blue coats and battering rams than I have ever seen.
The trouble with dealing with things by enforcing some sort of law is that the wrong sort of people get involved with the supplying that need.
To many rules and kids will rebel, too many laws and the same happens in society. Take away the thrill and take away the profit and the problem reduces ten fold.
squirrels are often out their trees but never short of nuts.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 11:38:19 PM »
The 1930s alcohol prohibition in the US was a classic example of that Fluffy. In fact gangsters or 'racketeers' as they were fondly called made enough money to set their families up for generations during that period (and kept Elliot Ness in work too).

Joe Kennedy made enough money to make his son a president - running booze over the Canadian border. Take away the prohibition and everyone gets back to normality.