Author Topic: Isolation of APS  (Read 309 times)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Isolation of APS
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
Thought i would post this here as jason has asked for ideas to isolate his APS beans .. The main reason we isolate is to keep them pure and i found the best way to do this was with debris netting the green mesh you see on building sites although saying that i think you see more of it at allotment sites nowadays or you could use fleece ..  I just made a wigwam  out of a length of the netting tied it in a bunch at one end tied that to the end of a good pole and push into the ground then spread the netting out at the base and secured to the ground so it resembled a wigwam the opening was closed up using clothes pegs .. You dont need to isolate all your beans just the ones for next seasons seed I normally just isolate 4 beans the others can be grown as normal just for eating ... Hope this helps not sure if i have any photos of our wigwam will have to have a look and see if i have will post them here ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jasonofaskwiff

• Plot Cultivator
Re: Isolation of APS
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:00:51 PM »
Thanks scary I'll do that I have a roll of debris net I'll give it a go ( thought I had to isolate all of them ) also might try a couple fleece bags over a few of the others

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Re: Isolation of APS
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »
Thanks scary I'll do that I have a roll of debris net I'll give it a go ( thought I had to isolate all of them ) also might try a couple fleece bags over a few of the others

Hi Jason i only isolate a few for next years seed them you need to keep pure because they cross pollinate so easy so the saved seed would be crossed ..   Growing  the ones your going to eat dont matter as you wont be saving  the seed from them ..  Yes think fleece would work aswell i just used debris netting as i had so much of it ..There was a post on here somewher about this cant seem to find it had all the info about how to pollinate them with a tiny paintbrush
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)