Author Topic: TERRIBLE NEWS  (Read 370 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
TERRIBLE NEWS
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
I have some awful news for our fellow members.

I would have posted it yesterday - when I heard, but to be quite honest I couldn't stomach the task, because I was so upset.

Ruth, Rob (Poppa Tommo's) wife rang me up yesterday, with horrific news.

My dear friend Rob Waterhouse passed away last Saturday. I'm sure it'll come as a shock to all the older regular members on here.

Apparently he had a fall a short time back  - he slipped on some black ice. Since then he had a bad pain in his leg. He suspected he might have a clot in it. It seems he may have been right (old Tommo was pretty sure of his things and very knowledgeable on many subjects). The clot, very likely, moved to one of his lungs, and then probably moved to his heart, although that has not been confirmed yet. There will be a post mortem to establish what actually happened, but the Dr. in attendance who administered CPR seems to think that it was a clot.

I'm totally gutted, he was an exceptional friend of mine, one of the kindest and most genuine persons I have ever met. I will miss him deeply - I truly loved him as a mate. I so regret that I didn't go to visit him in the autumn as I had planned, but Due to my present health condition it was out of the question. It's only a few weeks since he sent me this year's crop of APS bean seeds, which he has grown for me for a couple of years on his small holding i 'Zunny Deb'n' as he mischievously called it.

I promised him only a few weeks ago - before his fall - that if I was up to it, I was going to try and visit him down i Devon sometime this month. It seems that will never happen, and I won't see him again. Which makes it ten times worse for me.

I will send out a circular to all our members to let them know. I'm sure Ruth would appreciate some of his old friends on here giving her a ring to convey their condolences. I don't have her e-mail details, but here's a phone number: 07891466306.

Offline Princess Starryshapes

• “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  • ¾ Plot Cultivator
  • throwing down my Starryshapes, Gardening styles...
    • Live Abundance
Re: TERRIBLE NEWS
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:31:52 PM »
Hey Big Gee

Thank you so much for this touching and heartfelt message about my dad. It really was sad and lovely to read how much he was cared about and how valuable he was to you and to others too. I know that he valued all who he interacted with on here and he talked about loads of you regularly. People who he knew on and off here were very much a part of his life in many and varied ways. I don't think that his garden will be something that will carry on now that he has died. My mum, though she loved what he produced does not have the growing bug in quite the same way (and regularly kills houseplants too...) so all that he worked towards and tended over the years will sadly not be something that will carry on. I will be having some of his veggie growing stuff to use in our garden and will take up the mantle and work on perfecting my tomato growing technique... I did grow 11 types of tomato last year but not quite on the scale he did!

My mum is obviously really struggling at times and a bit numb at others. I'm sure she would love to hear from those of you that want to but the number here is my dad's so this is my mums email address: ruthwaterhouse349@gmail.com   please do if you feel the inclination, it would be lovely for her to know how important my lovely dad was to people.

My dad was a man who had a huge amount of knowledge and insight and yet a great deal of humility. He would give of himself freely to those who needed it but never forced his opinions or anything else on anyone who didn't want it.

He loved life. Loved it. Loved his kids, his wife, his garden, the planet. He just loved life. He believed that it was for living, enjoying and filling up with experiences and people that he loved and cared about. He was passionate about the environment and growing and cultivating and nurturing life in anyway that he could and to him this creativity and the process was a thing of joy. I would ask that you remember this about him and find joy in what you do when you bring seeds to life and breathe life into your allotments and gardens and so on.

Above all though keep doing exactly what you have always done. Keep growing- in your gardens, your lives and your hearts. Keep encouraging bees. And tell your loved ones that you love them every day. I NEVER thought that it would happen to our family. Dad was active, ate well and didn't do anything really to excess. He was plump around the middle, granted, but I never imagined it would be him. Never. But it did and it has reminded me how important my loved ones are in this journey called life. Cherish them.

Thanks for being a part of his life. If he believed in an afterlife I'm pretty sure hed come back and remind me to come and spend more time with you all on here so I will make sure that I do! 

Lucy xxx

(P.s. in your mail circular you said he left behind 2 children so I'm wondering which one of us, me , Sam or Ben, has been disowned and how come you know and we don't?! Lol!)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:51:35 PM by Princess Starryshapes »
“You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You-only you-will have stars that can laugh.”
―Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
This has hit me like a ton of bricks, your dad through this forum has become a dear friend and I am so going to miss him. He and I have swapped seeds several times, I have and will grow one of his tomato finds as long as I'm able along with APS beans he sent, haven't had a greenie since. My deepest sympathies to you, your family and especially your mom. I wish I was there to give her a hug. Although we have never met, when I can pull it together I will email your mom if that's O.K.

Gee, my deepest sympathies to you, losing such a close friend is devastating, sending a hug your way and I'm hope you will be feeling better soon. This is absolutely the worst start to a new year I've ever had.

Annette

Offline Jasonofaskwiff

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:55:40 AM »
My thoughts go to tommo's family & all on here  very sad  I'm new to the forum & tommo was the 1st to welcome me aboard & had a couple of chats   have been looking back on previous tips & wisdoms since I joined again my thoughts to you all.  jason

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »
I am so so sorry to hear this awful news. He helped and inspired me aswell and I will miss his chat. It is so heartbreaking for friends and family and my heart and thoughts are with them. Please accept my sincere condolences to you all. I'm so sorry

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
this has hit me hard this morning
I first met rob on this forum, we then met up at mole valley farmers for a mug of tea and chin wag

over the few years we knew each other we put the world to rights many times!!
we swapped seeds and plants many times
I visited his small holding  many times , Ruth making tea/food while we continued to chin wag away a few more hours
he also came my home and my plot in newton abbot
the photo is in my back garden a happy few hours with Teresa (MY wife),  Rob, Ruth, BG,  me

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:16:19 AM by spuds »
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »
 BOF)  So sorry to hear the news about Tommo. I met him with Ruth a few years ago and also his Daughter when he came to see my allotment I also went to Lucy's place a few times.

So tragic how it happened something that should not have happened.

He will be sadly missed on here such a helpful guy to new comers especialy here in the shed.

Please accept my sincere condolences Ruth, Lucy and the rest of your family.

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »
   I  read this post yesterday and was so shocked i was unable to post untill today ..    So sad to hear we have lost a great man who always found the time to greet members on here and help whoever he could with his vast knowledge of fruit and veg growing he will be dearly missed on this forum .
Please accept my sincere condolences   Ruth, Lucy and the rest of your family..

Offline galina

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
What desperately sad news!  What a shock.  Rob definitely was larger than life, great fun and full of sound knowledge and wisdom.  We loved chatting beans.

Condolences to Ruth and the family, especially to Lucy, Princess Starryshapes, whose message was very touching.  Hug to you at this sad time.   BOF)

toptaff

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
While I was sieving my kefir for 'im indoors this morning Poppa Tommo came to mind as it was he who kindly donated the grains to get me restarted.

I'm quite fond of poetry and a poem by Mary Elizabeth Fry also came to mind so I hope you don't mind that I'm sharing it:-

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.   

Respectfully, Toptaff.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:09:20 PM by scary crow »