Author Topic: Cherry tree help pic  (Read 412 times)

Offline Jasonofaskwiff

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
Cherry tree help pic
« on: December 17, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »
Pic

Offline Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Cherry tree help pic
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 11:59:51 PM »
Hi Jason
You haven't said what you want help with but if the picture is anything to go by, my guess is that it will be about pruning as it looks hugely overgrown and with suckers.

Firstly, pruning stone fruit ( cherries, plums etc ) should really be done in the summer as these types of trees yare susceptible to infection of silver-leaf disease. This is spread by fungal spores in damp conditions, which enter through fresh pruning wounds, and causes serious dieback. ... So my advice is to wait until then.

Perhaps you could say what else you need to know.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Jasonofaskwiff

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »
The tree is in middle of path & neighbour might want to chop it also is ltoo tall & spindly & wondered if could be shortened by cutting & re grafting or cleft ?? 1st branch is over 10' high too tall to manage

Offline Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
Hmmm, middle of a path doesn't sound too clever, especially a shared path. Sounds like it's either grown from a stray seed or 'suckered' out from another cherry tree. The fact that it's going past 10ft already would tend to suggest it's a wild one. Either way, for me I would remove it completely. Shortening will only make it produce hundreds of scions next spring. You'll be shortening for ever, and in the process you will be opening the tree up the dreaded die back fungus.

I know it's tempting to keep it - we are gardeners after all, and love those freebies that come along - but if it is a wild cherry, firstly you won't know if it will fruit to your liking and, secondly, as it grows you will have to change the route of your path to go round it. A wild cherry can do 60ft or more! Yep, really.

You don't say if you've had any fruit from it yet but I'm going to, for the sake of your scenario, that you have, and that they might be delicious, in which case you would want to keep the tree. So, a third option might be that you learn how to graft (if you don't know already, this is wonderfully satisfying experience ).

Then, as grafting time is almost upon us ( January
/February is perfect ) you can take, say, 3 or 4 scions from your tree, buy the same amount of 'Colt' rootstocks that will determine your chosen tree height, and have as many trees as you want; all put in the right place.

I can't think of anything else I can suggest, but I dare say that there will be others on here who will.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Jasonofaskwiff

• ¼ Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »
Thanks I think it has to go I want to put a polytunnel close to this bit & although a shame it's in no good shape & will get a lot of pea sticks out of it & a nice rustic looking wigwam for the aps beans the plot has 2 baby apple tree & a bigun so enough for a half plot me thinks also a little pear that I hard pruned last winter & my God did it go mad 4 carrier bags off a 6 ' tree cheers tommo