• Bird feeders 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Bird feeders  (Read 528 times)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
Bird feeders
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »
With the snow and all this below zero weather the birds have been flocking to the feeders not seen anything unusual yet just plenty of sparrows ,goldfinches , greenfinches and blue tits and one spiteful robin who is trying to rule the roost and chase the other birds away but they are too hungry to stay away ..  So remember to keep your feeders full and make sure those birds have water and they will repay your kindness in the summer keeping those caterpillars off your veggies ..

Offline Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
Re: Bird feeders
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »
Feeders full down in my back yard......have a silver birch with climbers entangled great for little birds to hide in. HAGD :-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, Scary.

Each winter I put up about four feeders with different feed in - fatballs, peanuts, sunflower kernels and the occasional mealworms. Each type of food attracting different species, and, of course any that drop to the floor are quickly 'hoovered' up hungry pigeons and doves.

I don't bother with very attractive looking mixed bird seed any more as it is hardly ever taken by the birds. I found that I ended up scattering it for the chooks in the spring.

One thing that I did notice was that every now and then, because of the concentration of feeding birds, a sparrow hawk would come through at a mind bending speed to grab a hapless victim. Now I try to hang the feeders in places that don't offer a too easy target to the hawks.

I'm a bit conflicted about this because, after all, they all have to feed, even the hawks.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:06:01 PM »
Thats what i like to hear that those feeders are full ..  We hang ours in a big old climbing rose thats on the front of our house like you Tommo we feed sunflower,fatballs and peanuts ... And today we see a new visitor a brambling  pretty looking bird ..

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »
We feed the birds all year long, they are so use to treats being put out for them if we're late they all line up in a tree, on the fence, anywhere they can find a place to stare in our dining room window. We also feed the Anna hummingbirds all winter, the Rufus fly south for the winter but the Annas stay year round.

Annette