Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Growing Celery  (Read 68 times)

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Growing Celery
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »

Hi Ya, Been toying with the idea of growing some celery. Have read and heard that it is difficult to grow yet some say it's  easy. Use self blanching not normal stuff. I see from a search that quite a few of you grow it successfully and was wondering what is your secret. I aim to try so any advice would be most welcome.

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Growing Celery
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »

We grow it.

It is greedy, loves loads of well rooted compost. For us, easy to grow but then we have the wonderful, mineral rich, Devon red soil. It has an amazingly large root system.

Some critters nibble away at it but if you put a short row in there will be enough for everybody.

We grow green and buried. Buried or ridged up keeps the talks blanched if you prefer them that way.

Not frost hardy but can be processed ( cleaned and chopped ) and then frozen to be added to soups and stews. After freezing, just like strawberries, it will be no good for salads but good in cooking.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »

I hate the stuff  but from what i,ve read it,s grown on the cambridgeshire fens suffolk and norfolk if you type in  ;; Growing celery on the fens ;  it gives so good info even on the type grown seems like the fens and the fen soil is good for growing it ..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:02:52 PM by scary crow »
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »

Growing it is not a problem for most gardeners. Especially the self blanching varieties. The problem is that it's a member of the Umbelliferae (of the family Apiaceae).  Commonly known as the celery, carrot or parsley family - and many others. It's a big family - with more than 3,700 species in 434 genera, including well-known and important plants such as angelica, anise, caraway, carrot, celery, chervil, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, hemlock, lovage, cow parsley (Hogweed), parsley, parsnip, sea holly to mention but a few.

What many of them have in common, is that they can be notoriously stubborn and difficult to germinate, unless conditions are favourable. One of the reasons why I'm still puzzled that many 'experts' recommend the old tradition of sowing parsnips in FEBRUARY! Probably the worst month for germination in the year. I think the suggestion was started by some famous pld grower who was having a wicked joke, at the expense of less knowledgeable ones. He probably didn't bargain on it becoming such a popular habit that seed packets still recommend sowing in February. Amazing how many 'sheeple' are about!

If you have difficulty germinating celery seeds, just start them off in an airing cupboard sandwiched between two layers of damp kitchen towel tissue. Then transplant once they have germinated. The seeds don't keep long either so discard the old seed packets and start afresh every year. You'll never need a long row of it, it's something you enjoy at first but get fed up of as the salad season progresses.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up