Author Topic: green manure  (Read 261 times)

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
green manure
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:31:22 PM »
Had to post this here as i couldent seem to find anywhere to post it we dont seem to have a place for soil improvement topics .
Right question is does anyone use green manure to improve there soil ? . Seems to have some benefits from what i have read so wondered if anyone had used it  and what they thought of the results.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: green manure
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 01:33:01 AM »
Had to post this here as i couldent seem to find anywhere to post it we dont seem to have a place for soil improvement topics . . .

No sooner asked than done my friend - I will put a new board up as soon as I've got a minute.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of green manures, but some swear by them. I've tried it once - I grew vetches (Winter Tares), but found it made life very difficult when it came time to dig it in. Also of course, some allotmenteers leave their plots fallow over winter or cover them with black sheeting, others always have things growing all year round. The 'fallow' camp could benefit greatly from growing green manure crops, as the soil is not being used anyway, and it's better use of the ground than covering it in plastic.. The other camp will find it more of a nuisance. I happen to fall into the second group - but that's no reason not to try it. I'm also a rotavator and farm yard manure man. Green crops (especially the longer varieties) tend to tangle up in your rotavator tines beautifully!

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:15 PM »
Thankyou Big Gee  YRTB  I hunted up and down yesterday looking for somewhere to post this topic after 15 minutes i realised we had no where for it ..  Im going to try it this year looks good for over powering the weeds and will add some nutrient back into the soil ..Im not worried about the digging in with the rotovator and it wrapping around the tines i have a old 3hp mower in the shed will run that over the green manure before turning it in so that will mulch it up making it easier to turn in ... Found this anyone interested may want to have a read ..

https://www.greenmanure.co.uk/pages/choosing-the-right-green-manure

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
What are friends for scary?  CW ;-)

Nice list that - very interesting and the list is far longer and varied than most.

Are you going to report back your findings to us come spring-time?

Offline scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Where would we be without good friends .. Yes good list better than most you can find when looking into green manure ..
And yes will be adding updates on the green manure will take some photos of the growth and when we come to turning it in and also if we notice the difference it makes to the soil i will be happy if it smothers the weed ..

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
I'll definitely be watching this space.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
That's quite a list Scary, the only one I've used is Fall Rye.

Annette

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 10:07:55 AM »
Thankyou Big Gee  YRTB  I hunted up and down yesterday looking for somewhere to post this topic after 15 minutes i realised we had no where for it ..  Im going to try it this year looks good for over powering the weeds and will add some nutrient back into the soil ..Im not worried about the digging in with the rotovator and it wrapping around the tines i have a old 3hp mower in the shed will run that over the green manure before turning it in so that will mulch it up making it easier to turn in ... Found this anyone interested may want to have a read ..

https://www.greenmanure.co.uk/pages/choosing-the-right-green-manure

[/Thanks for that Scary.
It could be usefull in my raised beds to help the soil. Grow it over winter and dig it in in the spring  clap:-)  size]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:09:49 AM by Westheathdave »