Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biological weedkiller  (Read 68 times)

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Biological weedkiller
« on: October 14, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »

Hi Ya, Reading a comment in a magazine they mentioned using a biological powder to kill moss on concrete. I have moos like that and do not want to use a chemical due to the dogs. Does it kill other weeds as well? do they mean washing powder? is it harmfull to wildlife? I know some one who used Epsom salts to kill tree stumps. I will do more research but wondered if any else had used or heard of it's use. Happy days

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Biological weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:54:01 AM »

There are loads of 'organic' weedkillers, including things like vinegar or garlic sprays - garlic kills everything from microbes to humans !! what:-o

That's why I keep on banging the drum that garlic eaters are killing the 'good' and 'bad' microbes in their bodies - it's not fussy what it kills - despite some folk being lulled into the myth that it only kills 'bad' microbes. It kills everything.

Vinegar works by dehydrating any plants it's applied to. As for using 'biological' washing powder, I'd cringe away from that. Their definition of 'biological' is not meant in the same context as 'organic'. What they mean is that it contains ingredients that kills microbes in your wash. The essential difference between 'bio' and 'non-bio' detergents is that bio detergents contain certain enzymes that are very effective at cleaning stains. These enzymes serve as a booster technology, designed to break down protein, starches, and fat that are often found in food stains, sweat and other common stains.

Beware of misleading 'double speak' it serves to calm down the worries of users, and attracts the 'greenies' to the party. A bio detergent may be just as harmful to your environment as products labelled non-bio.

A very inexpensive household product may be your best choice to get rid of moss. The most common moss that invades your landscape is silvery moss thread (Bryum argenteum), a good candidate for a bicarbonate of soda treatment. Bi-carb provides short-term relief from moss, but improving the wet, shaded, compacted soil in which it thrives is the only long-term solution.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up