Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: apples to cider  (Read 157 times)

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
apples to cider
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »

hi tommo
I have lots and lots of apples  if I remember right you were going to squash them for me  chrs:-)
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: apples to cider
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »

Are we talking about windfalls, Mick?

My best cider to date has been made from a mixture of 4 or 5 different varieties to include sweet, tannic and acidic. Acidic is easy as bramleys fit that bill. In fact any good cooker worth its salt will provide the acid needed.

Tannic is down to trying a few varieties - you will soon know because you wil get that sediment from the bottle of wine effect where your tongue feels stuck to the roof of your mouth. You don't need many of these but they do improve the brew.

Sweet is usually found in eaters. A good quality eater will always give you the sugars.

Now then, back to the windfall question. I wouldn't use any apples that have to be picked because the starches haven't developed into the necessary sugars needed for a good fermentation.

ALL good cider makers gather windfalls and then store them for up to a month (even longer in some cases). This allows the starches to develop into sugars.

So - are yours on the ground or on the tree?  If you have the room and a few bread baskets gather them up as they fall and store them. I've got 5 overflowing 'tesco' baskets stacked on the patio at the moment waiting for some more varieties to join them.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »

hi mate
I have been picking them up off the ground , over the last two weeks ,look through them every now and then, take out bad ones
or should I leave them
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:49:42 PM »

Take the bad ones out every time, Mick. As the old expression goes It only takes one rotten apple in a barrel to make them all bad
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:57:01 PM »

Don't you find that some get bruised if they're allowed to drop from the tree? A bruised apple is a potential 'bad' apple. It's why apple growers have developed this amazing technique with a ladder over the centuries - I think it's called 'Apple Picking' !!!
 Grin2:-)

PS - I've moved this topic to this board, because talking about apples doesn't fit very well under "Off Topic". That board is meant for anything that is NOT to do with gardening or fruit growing!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:59:57 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up