Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bees  (Read 37 times)

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
bees
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »

you've got a huge opportunity to help save our bees for good. Big corporations want to spread bee-killing pesticides across UK fields. These pesticides are temporarily banned in the UK on some crops, but if we want to stand up for our buzzing friends we need to get these chemicals banned on all crops. [1]

There's a vote coming up to extend the current ban, protecting bees from even more pesticides. [2] And Environment Minister Michael Gove decides whether the UK will vote to ban these pesticides.

That's where we come in. Lobbyists for big chemical companies will be whispering in Michael Gove's ear, telling him to vote against the bees. [3] But there are hundreds of thousands of us, so a huge petition could persuade him to put our bees before business profits.

So Michael, will you sign the petition calling on Michael Gove to protect the UK’s bees? It only takes 30 seconds:

SIGN THE PETITION

Bees pollinate three quarters of the world’s crops - apples, strawberries, onions, carrots, and many, many more. We wouldn’t last long without them. But the pesticides favoured by big business, called neonicotinoids, are lethal - they scramble their memories, and damage their navigation leaving them lost and confused. [4]

Our bees have been under siege since 2013 - every year chemical companies have tried to lift the ban, threatening bees existence. But every year 38 Degrees members have fought to keep these threats at bay. [5]

We’ve now got the chance to make sure the ban covers more of Britain's fields, and keeps our bees safe for generations to come. Michael Gove has been saying warm words about protecting our bees - so now let's get him to turn those words into action. [6]

Michael, if you think our bees should be protected, will you sign the petition calling on Michael Gove to vote the right way and extend the ban on bee-killing pesticides? It only takes 30 seconds:

SIGN THE PETITION

Thanks for all you do,

Nona, Louie, Megan, Bex, Nick, and the 38 Degrees team

NOTES:
 [1] New Scientist: Strongest evidence yet that neonicotinoids are killing bees:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 [2] There are two votes coming up at the European Commission: one in October, and one in January. The vote in October will decide whether or not the ban on Neonicotinoids, which are currently only banned on one type of crop, should be extended to cover all crops. The vote in January will decide whether or not to permanently ban these pesticides. Any decision taken at these meetings will be transferred into UK law after Brexit.
 The Guardian: Europe poised for total ban on bee-harming pesticides:
 [3] Energy Desk Greenpeace: Industry lobbyists accused of scaremongering over ban on bee-harming pesticides:
 [4] The Guardian: Europe should expand bee-harming pesticide ban, says campaigners:
 [5] 38 Degrees: Bees:
 [6] BusinessGreen: Gove: UK will 'take back control' of environmental policy to deliver a 'green Brexit':

Start a petition

Did you know that every day, 38 Degrees members are setting up and running their own campaigns? The website is called Campaigns By You. It's easy to use and the 38 Degrees staff team are here to help.

Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: bees
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:42:47 PM »

I've lost count of the number of petitions (many run by 38 Degrees) that I've signed over the years. It seems that every time we gain a bit of traction, the big Pharma army fights back, and the knucklehead ministers in Westminster just nod in their direction (money talks).

Another big supporter of this madness has been commercial crop growers who keep on bleating that they can't cope without pesticides. A load of rubbish we know, but they keep on swallowing the Big Pharma propaganda. The Farmer's Union's have been a huge problem when it comes to supporting the use of Neonics for their members.

BRING ON THE PETITION say I!
  Angry:-{
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »

Yup - you know I agree with all this.

But like all wars of attrition the endless stream of petitions, ducked, evaded, ignored by big pharma; the knowledge that it is they who have the corrupt influence over the lawmakers leaves most caring people feeling powerless and worn down to the point of inertia.

What's the point? Nothing happens anyway! They still march on getting away with it!

Well the point is WE MUST NEVER GIVE IN TO THEM. every time there is a petition that calls for a banning of the world destroying chemical we MUST act, WE MUST KEEP SIGNING.

Was it Einstein who accurately observed that ....." It takes the inaction of a few good men to allow evil to prevail" ( my apologies for he paraphrase)

Do it for you grandchildren, and theirs.......and theirs.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »

Absolutely right Tommo, when we stop signing petitions the end will be in sight, not just for our bees but for humanity.

I think the quote "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" is generally attributed to Edmund Burke I believe, and he was spot on. In fact I read somewhere that the quote has become one of the most popular in the 20 century. It goes to show how the majority think - and it's not the general impression projected by the media and others. The reality is more people actually think like us than think like Big Pharma, which is opposite to what we are led to believe by the system, that promotes money as the God of all things and organisations like Big Pharma as the saints within that religion.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »

Secret:-) well I voted come all you gardeners  vote vote  please    ThU32:-)
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up