Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blueberry Propagating  (Read 84 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Blueberry Propagating
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »

ok, on the back of people's interest in these marvellous fruits here is a link to help you with propagating your own blueberry bushes.

Just remember that ERICACEOUS is the name of the game with blueberries so only propagate into ericaceous compost.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Blueberry Propagating
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »

ok, on the back of people's interest in these marvellous fruits here is a link to help you with propagating your own blueberry bushes.

Just remember that ERICACEOUS is the name of the game with blueberries so only propagate into ericaceous compost.

Nice bit of info. there Tommo. Comprehensive, but easy to follow guide.  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »

ThU32:-)  Thanks for the info Tommo very interesting. I suppose a misting machine is necessary I do not have one and have never seen one. Are they expensive??

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »

It might be possible, I've seen it done with other types of cuttings but never done it myself, to secure a polythene 'balloon' bag over the pot with the cuttings in in order to keep the humidity levels high. Worth a go as if it works it would says a rotund on setting up a misting system.

I think I'll give it a go.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:27:12 PM »

Misting systems are often employed or recommended when making hardwood cuttings - mostly used by commercial growers.. I built one as a little project for my late father who had an interest in rooting wood cuttings (mostly conifers). However they are not a 'must have'. It consisted of two probes in the medium, which, when it's dryness reached a certain point an electronic circuit triggered at a pre-set soil resistance level and opened a solenoid valve that then allowed a spray connected to the mains to 'mist' the cuttings. Once the medium reached a level of dampness the spray turned off.

Their purpose is to provide a constant soft mist environment to encourage high humidity in an enclosed environment. It also prevents rotting of cuttings due to fungal build up through over watering. Absolutely unnecessary for small numbers of cuttings in a small propagator - overkill. You can easily do the same job manually. However you can see the sense of such systems when thousands of cuttings are being propagated in a poly-tunnel.

Putting a polythene bag over a pot with cuttings in does a similar job, BUT care must be taken not to make the environment too wet, and the stagnation of air in the bag will often encourage fungal growth. Like with most things, it's not rocket science and no hard and fast rules apply, just a liberal dollop of common sense coupled to a bit of general growing knowledge!

Always good to apply the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginprinciple in these matters.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:40:37 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up