Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raspberry Beetle  (Read 46 times)

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Raspberry Beetle
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:41:48 AM »

Hi Ya,   I am new to fruit growing. I have got a few raspberry plants in I set last year and the fruit is abundant. My OH came on a rare visit to pick and I am disappointed as they have been got at by raspberry beetle. A look on line said to use derris. not around now, it also said the beetles over winter in the soil. I am trying not use pesticides and the traps advertised are very expensive I think. I am considering laying a weed barrier around the plant in winter to see if I can stop or lessen the beetles if they are trapped under it. Has any one suffered these little blighters and if so have you dealt with them or what did you do? Ant clues would be most welcome. They do seem to have hit the smaller bushes rather than the big taller ones.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry Beetle
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »

spf:-(  Hi Lottieguy that's a bit of bad luck.
I have got to say I have not heard of em and I am going to move some of my raspberry plants to grow at home when my raised beds are finished. Hope I do not take any home from plot. I will have to read up about them. What were your symptoms ??

lottieguy

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »

Hi Ya, I asked my OH who actually saw it and she said the fruit was going rotten on the vine and she saw little brownish coloured beetles on the plant. I looked on the web and the maggots are whitish but there is, or doesn't seem to be any control for them apart from contact sprays and I for one am reluctant to use them. However if needs must. If you are moving them and take them as clean washed roots that should nail them I would of thought. Good luck and if you find a cure I am up for it which is why I asked about covering the soil under them. Perhaps if I move mine the same way to some where else on site it will loose them. The initial fruit was not affected it was the later more prolific fruiting that copped it.  usf:-( Happy gardening

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »

look up Neem oil it may help your bugs
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:23:49 AM »

Check out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login lottieguy.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »

Hi Ya, cheers BG I did find these when I thoght there would be more. How much protction does one trap give? they seem a bit pricey for what they are even the refills are. I wonder if a trap can be made? are they sticky traps? more research before next season. Forking over the ground in winter may help. Happy gardening

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »

No idea my friend - I've never had an use for them. I believe the clever bit is the 'bait' they use to attract the beetles to the trap. What that is, I have no idea I'm sorry. As you rightly point out, they do seem a bit expensive.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up