Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2017 Seed Stock  (Read 187 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
2017 Seed Stock
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »

good news on the Zunny Deb'n Zeedz

All are doing great. Really good plants chucking out great sized pods - long and slim - deep deep purple and not a greenie in sight.

Bodes well if the weather stays friendly and nothing decides to eat them before they ripen. It's all I can do to keep my hands off them!

The rabbits are still kept at bay so hopefully they will stay that way.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: 2017 Seed Stock
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »

Wonderful news Tommo!!!  clap:-)

Also excellent to hear that the 'greenies' are getting bred out of existence. We're really motoring now in the 'thoroughbred' programme.

THANK you so much for your efforts my friend.  CThUpD:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »

Hi Ya, I was late sowing mine and as a result got some good purple colouring in them though a lot still had green as well mixed in. Hopefully I will be able to save some of my own seed but I would still like to get 24 of your seed when ready please.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »

Yes, that's no problem Lottieguy, just nip over to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and follow the instructions. I know it's a bit formal, but the whole process is now automated, so the information you provide on the request form is transferred to my requests database here, and when the time comes all the information in the database is used to send the beans out - relying on my sometimes dysfunctional ability to remember 'who's ordered what' is eliminated!

Shame that some 'greenies' turned up for you. Were they from bean seeds you'd collected yourself? Unless they are grown in good isolation then cross pollination creeps in, and over a period you'll land up with mongrels of all the other varieties grown near your allotment - and eventually the unique purple strain of the Aeron Purple Stars is diluted out (much in the same way as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, as they cross with the Spanish varieties). Eventually nature takes over completely and produces the most genetically diverse mixture that she can produce.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:54:28 PM »

There should be enough for distribution this year as I am now heading towards 2kg of shelled dried seeds. No greenies at all this year and I've begun to identify the very limited quantity of 8-seed pods. These I will separate off and use for the ongoing APS improvement sowings.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:35:27 PM »

Hi Ya, I did mix them BG but the purple ones were hit by bees at the same plant so I got lucky. There are others who grow them but not many and not very close suprisingly. Enjoy the challenge  though. Will follow and order soon. cheers

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi Ya, I did mix them BG but the purple ones were hit by bees at the same plant so I got lucky. There are others who grow them but not many and not very close suprisingly. Enjoy the challenge  though. Will follow and order soon. cheers

There's always hand pollination for the dedicated grower who has stray pollen to cope with. But heck it's a tedious task!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:34 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There should be enough for distribution this year as I am now heading towards 2kg of shelled dried seeds. No greenies at all this year and I've begun to identify the very limited quantity of 8-seed pods. These I will separate off and use for the ongoing APS improvement sowings.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate my very own Santa's Little Helper" down there in Zunny Deb'n!

Pages: [1]   Go Up