Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dandelion and Fennel Kombucha Recipe  (Read 63 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Dandelion and Fennel Kombucha Recipe
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »

Dandelion and Fennel Kombucha Recipe

I promised to post this recipe quite a while back, but forgot all about it!  Blush:-(
It's linked to
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For this recipe, you will first make about a gallon of kombucha. Once it has finished fermenting, you will add a tea made with dandelion and fennel seed before bottling. You will need a one-gallon size wide mouth jar for the initial fermentation and bottles for the end product (flip top bottles work well).

You will also need a SCOBY (always available free from many sources in the 'Shed') and 1-2 cups of starter brew, which is just plain kombucha from a previous batch. If you donít have any, you can use shop-bought, plain flavoured kombucha as your starter liquid. As a final resort you can use a few tablespoonfuls of cider vinegar. Basically what you are doing is creating a low pH environment for your brew.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unflavoured green (preferably) or black tea (can use tea bags)
1 cup sugar
1-2 cups kombucha starter liquid
1 kombucha SCOBY
1 cup dandelion flowers (or 2-4 Tbsp dandelion root)
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
12 cups filtered water
Directions

Bring the water to a boil in a stainless steel pot (not aluminium), or use a kettle, adding the boiling water to a glass bowl or kombucha fermenting jar. Turn off the heat, and add the black tea. Let it steep for about 20-30 minutes to make a strong brew (I leave the tea in the water until I'm ready to add the SCOBY).

Strain out the tea leaves if necessary, or remove the tea bags.

Add the sugar to the tea and stir until it is completely dissolved.

When the tea has completely cooled to room temperature , transfer it to a wide mouth kombucha fermenting jar. (or a glass mixing bowl will do).

Add the kombucha starter liquid, and float the SCOBY on top. Donít worry if it sinks.

Cover the jar with a clean tea towel or cheesecloth secured with a rubber band, and place it in a warm, dark place for about 10-14 days. When it has reached your desired sweetness, it is time to bottle.

Remove the SCOBY (and any new ones that may have formed) and 1-2 cups of kombucha. Set aside and reserve for use in making your next batch.

Put the dandelion and fennel seed into a pot with 1-2 quarts filtered water and bring to a boil for 3-5 minutes. Then turn off the heat, let cool to room temperature, and strain.

Combine the dandelion/fennel tea with the finished kombucha. At this stage, especially if your kombucha is on the less sweet side, you can also add 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar if youíd like. This will also aid in making a fizzy end product.

Pour the mixture into bottles (a funnel helps) and cap tightly.

Let the bottles sit at room temperature for several days to let them build up a little carbonation, then refrigerate before drinking.

The taste of this dandelion and fennel kombucha is slightly bitter from the dandelion with a pleasant licorice note. I find it to be quite enjoyable and am finding myself drinking it on a daily basis. Itís nice to know that something so tasty is also good for your health.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Dandelion and Fennel Kombucha Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:24:04 PM »

Sounds delicious....just make sure you don't drink it before going to bed...one of the old names for dandelions is 'Piss the bed'....we don't want any little accidents now do we.

HTT:-}
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Dandelion and Fennel Kombucha Recipe
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:07:55 AM »

Ah yes - the old "Pissenlit" as the French call it. A nod to bed-wetting I think.

God help if I get that problem from drinking Kombucha - on top of the inevitable 'old man's problem' when it comes along, when the old prostate will eventually start to play up!!  what:-o

That's what I like about you Tommo - you're so positive!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up