Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Potting compost  (Read 93 times)

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Potting compost
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »

Hi Ya, Well I did it again, I looked for Jacks Magic only to be told that the store in our town doesn't stock it. So while at ASDA I saw three bags for 10, use for seeds, baskets, pots the professionals choice, I bought 3 and when I got them home what was inside was terrible. I would use it as a soil improver but that's all. I did a bit of research for Jacks Magic and contacted the local Mole Valley farmers who were selling  it buy 2 get one free at 5.99 a bag. The lady I contacted said yes we do have it and I am sorry you got the wrong information. Of I goes and yes, 3 bags now in garden. I opened one and put it in my compost dustbin in the greenhouse, well, the difference and as I had the two side by side, the Jacks is streets ahead, lovely stuff. The ASDA has been used to improve the greenhouse border soil. I am sticking to Jacks from now on and will go out of my way to get it. The store I went to said they would be stocking it for the foreseeable as it got a lot of people asking for it, so a good result. Happy gardening.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Potting compost
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »

It's amazing the number of gardeners who have been caught this way (moi included). You can easily get sucked in by the pretty pictures on the outside of the bag, and the enticing wording, and especially the price, but BEWARE! All that glitters is not gold.

My old man used to say "if it's too good to be true - it probably isn't". How true. There's no such thing as a free lunch! You get what you pay for.

Most of the 'muck' you get in these supermarkets in the guise of 'compost' is just that - muck. In fact real 'muck' is better stuff.  This rubbish raised it's head in tandem with the fad of 'peat free'. Many gardeners panicked, thinking they were destroying the planet by using peat products. That of course was a load of baloney - like the scaremongering that butter is poison and gives you heart disease. It's a false fashion that comes and goes.

ALWAYS make sure that the compost you buy contains proper peat, and steer well away from anything that says "Peat Free Product". Out of interest, my second favourite compost, next to Jack's Magic is Clover - another good peat based compost that performs well. Ao if you can't get hold of 'Jack's' my advice is look for 'Clover' Lottieguy.  I'm sure that some of our members could recommend similar good products that they've had success with.

Check out this link from my Newsletter archive - an interesting bit there about compost.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »

Here's my hap'orth. I've tried loads of different composts and dare say I get through quite a lot in the course of a growing season.

There are different grades of peat. Some of the cheaper ones are very low grade, black and sort of greasy which stains your hands black after a day potting on or pricking out.

I've also found that the old favourites like Arthur Bowers etc which used to be really good - a sort of benchmark if you like, have all gone down the pan as far as quality is concerned.About 3 years ago I actually sifted out 1/3 of a compost bag of pits of peat bark, other types of bark and so on. I tried to track down their head office to complain (which I did) and to date have never received a reply. Never again. They have lost me, and anyone else  tell about it as customers.

Whilst at our local depot I mentioned it and one of the staff advised me to try Hortons Compost. I did - brilliant - and in 3 years of using it I've never had a poor bag. I probably use about 40+ bags a year.

They come in 120litre bags, compressed so are quite dense and heavy but at only 5.25 a bag, an absolute bargain. Fully recommended by Poppa Tommo.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:58 PM »

TOMMO! Where have you been hiding you little imp! I was on the verge of dropping you a line to see if everything was OK down in Zunny Deb'n. You obviously picked up some of my vibes from the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and here you are!

I haven't tried Hortons Compost, but from what you say, it's worth a bash - especially at that price! In fact, compared to Jack's Magic and Clover to a lesser extent, it's as cheap as chips isn't it?

PS Both Horton's & Jack's Magic are produced by Westland by the way. Clover is still produced by a family run business - they started 40 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:48:21 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:20:59 AM »

all the plug plants that Tommo gave me (thank you)  have been potted on with B&Q  compost and jacks magic  we will see what happens
yes I have kept the trays  clap:-)

jacks magic 3 x 60L bags 12 mole valley farmers ,  B&Q verve 125L bale 6.93 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:32:03 AM by spuds »
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

lottieguy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »

Hi Ya, Very interesting thoughts from you all. I have never heard of Horton's or clover. I found a local outlet, Mole Valley Farmers, who are selling Jacks at 5.99 a bag buy 2 get 1 free. I was happy with that. The ASDA stuff was terrible but I also had a bag of Levingtons and while not as good as jacks it knocks spots of ASDA's, I use it to improve my beds in bulk and the Jacks for seeds and potting on. I looked up the Horton's but it was 18 a bag, I would buy the Levingtons over the ASDA to improve my beds as it is streets in front and the same price. Very interesting ( I know how sad) but compost home made or bought in is important I believe to your success or lack of it. Happy gardening

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »

18 A BAG!!!!

That's a total rippoff!

5.25 at our local Trago Mills - it'd be worth your while borrowing a van, coming over and loading up.

( then whilst you are here you can help me slaughter some weeds  Grin2:-) Grin2:-) )
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

lottieguy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »

Hi Ya, Trago Mills eh! that explains it. Some stank to get to the nearest one from here, as for weeds, they have done well on my plot this year so it's I who needs the help  ROL :-))  The wild flowers from next haven't helped. Happy gardening

lottieguy

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »

Hi Ya, just out of curiosity I looked up the nearest Trago and it's in Newton Abbot, not bad only a 5hr drive one way and 310 miles. Might just fit it in to my diary for the weekend. Need a big van for it to be worthwhile. OK thought about it and maybe not, sorry, you will have to murder the weeds on your own this time  lol(1)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »

Jeez! I nearly ruined my monitor by spluttering a mouthful of tea all over it when I read that!!!  what:-{ 18 a bag - "I don't belieeeeeve it"!!!

You cannot be serious. Do poor souls who who have been totally infected with some stupidity virus actually pay that for a bag of compost?
Pages: [1]   Go Up