Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem With Raspberry Leaves  (Read 124 times)

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Problem With Raspberry Leaves
« on: May 29, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »

Any one Know what might be causing this to happen to my Raspberry leaves only one or two leaves on 4 or 5 plants the newest growth only.

See pic below

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Problem With Raspberry Leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

A few things come to mind Dave.

From your photo I would opt for a blight-like attack, i.e. a nasty fungal (or fungal like attack), possibly Phytophthora (Raspberry Root Rot). I know with you the leaves are what is showing the symptoms, although if it is Phytophthora, then the problem could actually be in the soil, and especially effecting the roots, which you cannot see. I hope I'm wrong, because Phytophthora is a serious problem. A few Phytophthora species can also act primarily as foliar pathogens, spread by air-borne spores (like tomato or potato blight), so it could be just showing itself on the leaves.

Root  Rot  (Phytophthora)  is  one  of  the  most  destructive  soil-bourne  diseases  that  can  affect  young  raspberry  canes,  normally  causing  them  to  die  back  during  the  first  year  of  growth,  or  early  in  the  second  year.    The  disease  is  also  associated  with  poorly  drained  and  heavy  soils  that  are  liable  to  waterlogging.

The symptoms of the fungal disease Raspberry Root Rot are:

The plants don't grow strongly as normal
     Leaves begin to wilt
     Leaves turn brown (or black) at the edges (similar to your picture)
     Leaves eventually die but tend to remain on the canes
     Digging up the roots shows them them to be brown / black and dying.
     Often only individual plants are affected
     Symptoms normally appear in mid spring to early summer

The causes of Raspberry Root Rot are:

Heavy ground such as clay
     Ground which is water logged, especially in early to mid spring
     These ground conditions encourage the fungus to grow and spread from one plant to another
     This is a soil borne fungus-like infection

The infection can remain in the soil for several years after removing infected plants. As I said above, the technical name for Raspberry Root rot is Phytophthora albi and it occurs around the world. Because the infection is caused by bad soil conditions there is no practical cure for the amateur gardener, prevention is the key. If your plants are affected by this infection, dig them up, burn them and plant any new raspberry canes in a better position Dave. Avoid planting in heavy or water logged soils. Where this is not possible plant them in raised beds about a foot high filled with soil that drains well.

I hope that helps old friend, and I hope I'm wrong, but the photo you uploaded points strongly to Raspberry Root Rot.

I would welcome a second opinion or another suggestion.

Footnote: check out my Gardening Wisdoms FactFile on raspberries You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:39:01 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »

Thanks Gee. I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Last year I moved the raspberries lower down the plot by the shed, not in raised beds like where they came from. My soil is heavy clay and prone to waterlogging so it is not looking good for them.
I will have to consider making a raised bed for them for next year and possibly new stock.
Thanks once again for the info.   YRTB

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 05:06:07 PM »

You're very welcome Dave. I only hope I'm wrong and it isn't Phytophthora (Raspberry Root Rot), however if they're in heavy, waterlogged clay then it seems ever more likely it is Root Rot.

Don't forget that it's a soil borne fungal like organism that causes the problem, so clean fresh soil for your next generation of raspberries - in a raised bed would be the best solution.

Keep us posted.
  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks Gee. I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Last year I moved the raspberries lower down the plot by the shed, not in raised beds like where they came from. My soil is heavy clay and prone to waterlogging so it is not looking good for them.
I will have to consider making a raised bed for them for next year and possibly new stock.
Thanks once again for the info.   YRTB

Hi Dave. I had the same problem about 4 years ago. Lost a whole row. They were in a fruit cage at the bottom end of a gentl slope where, inevitably, rainwater would migrate to. On our heavyish Devon Red soil, water is easily retained, plus I grow mine through weed suppressant which keeps the moisture in.

I looked up varieties for heavier, damper soils and came up with a variety from Marcus Lubera called Sanibelle. Supposedly a good performer on difficult soils. Also known as one of the earliest fruiters of Autumn raspberries. Reputed to be phytophthera resistant too. Have read.

I have a row in the same bed as the failed ones, been there for 4 years and are excellent producers. No sign of trouble yet. I'll keep you posted. They have very good flavour too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:56:02 AM by Poppa Tommo »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 04:40:03 PM »

Thank you for that info Tommo will have to see how these go and how I go as I might be giving the plot up soon either way as we have got to 50% occupancy level which means the council could close us any how.
I think that's why they put up the rents to they are strapped for cash and it is prime building land, they would make a killing if they sold it off.  usf:-(

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »

Thank you for that info Tommo will have to see how these go and how I go as I might be giving the plot up soon either way as we have got to 50% occupancy level which means the council could close us any how.
I think that's why they put up the rents to they are strapped for cash and it is prime building land, they would make a killing if they sold it off.  usf:-(

Does this indicate that the traditional interest in allotment gardening  in the Midlands is waning?

Don't the good folk of Brum want to get their hands dirty growing food anymore? A sad state of affairs.

I've mused of late, given the precarious state of our world, what is going to happen when some rogue state sets off a nuclear explosion on a satellite and send an electro magnetic pulse EMP) out over our country that instantly and permanently knocks out ALL electronic equipment (we got a fore taste of the chaos caused when computer systems go down at the London airports recently).. Then you'd see the sales of spades, forks & rotavators (for as long as the juice is available) sky rocket - but too late - no one would know how to use them!
Pages: [1]   Go Up