Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Nasty Surprise  (Read 231 times)

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
A Nasty Surprise
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »

ill be brief, but be warned when ordering seed from abroad.

In the past I have had no problems in receiving occasional small packets of seed from, particularly, North America.

I ordered 5 packs of peppers and 5 packs of tomatoes a couple of weeks ago only to receive a DEFRA notification saying they had intercepted, opened, declared a biohazard and destroyed the lot. These were from a reputable company used by Annette on this site and others.

29 quid down the pan...so...as I said.....be warned before ordering.

Angry:-{ spf:-( Angry:-{ spf:-(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Re: A Nasty Surprise
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:12:30 PM »

WHAT THE H*LL, Do you think this has political overtones? Remy has never had a problem with sending seed to the UK before as far as I know. He who sits on what he believes to be his throne, states side, urrghhh, don't get me started. I feel very sorry for the American people right now. Hillery Clinton is looking pretty darn good in comparison. Sorry I don't usually get political, to each to his own but come on, time to get your heads out of the sand.
Rob, I sent Remy an email about what happened to your order just to let her know sending seed to the UK now looks iffy, I recently sent some bean seed to someone in the UK without a problem, they had them in about a week. Have never had a problem with seed sent from the UK but a forum member here sent me a bean variety Id been looking for a long time. We thought they had been lost in the mail, just recently arrived took a few days less 4 months to get here what:-o but I have to say it really made my day.
I was 'talking' to someone else who ordered some seeds from Italy, they took about the same length of time. I jokingly said to him maybe mine might still arrive. low and behold they did.

In any case I know what Pepper you were so excited to find, I'll order them from Remy (not sold out yet), repack them in a zip lock and send them on. Hopefully they will get through but I want to see if sending seed to the UK from Canada is also going to be a problem too.  When I get them I'll post immediately, hopefully in time for you to plant this year.
Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »

Echoes of Big Brother tightening the noose around the necks of the minions. It's another indicator of the prophetic writings of George Wells and Aldous Huxley coming true in our times.

"Biohazard"? FFS! Peppers and tomatoes are now biohazards are they? They'll be accusing us of being what they ludicrously call 'domestic terrorists' next!

I wouldn't be so keen to jump on the anti Trump bandwagon either Annette. Clinton is not exactly a darling of truth & justice - not least when you consider what has been exposed about her, her husband and the Clinton Foundation, before even mentioning their perverted sexual activities and the covering up of paedophilia rings in high places. Truth is, BOTH are a mask on the same face, just dressed up differently. They are both puppets of the system, which dupes people into thinking they have a democratic choice. In reality whichever the citizens of the US voted for what they get is ALWAYS the same (possibly with nthe exception of Bernie Sanders perhaps - but he quickly got cheated out of any chance of gaining power)  - the dark suited elites in the shadows with their hands firmly on the levers of power and a centuries old agenda that they are working towards. TOTAL domination of the masses who will serve no other purpose than to be slaves of a small elite class. Check out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. If we don't wake up soon it will be game over. This agenda of theirs is being fulfilled stealthily, step by step, not least by the taking away of our most basic freedoms, like sharing seeds for growing food. It's a creeping nightmare.

Perhaps a better question would be, 'What isn't Agenda 21?'
 That's because, as anti-U.N. Agenda 21 activist Rosa Koire says, 'It is the blueprint, it is the action plan, to inventory and control all land, all water, all plants, all minerals, all construction, all animals, all means of production, all energy, all information and all the human beings in the world. It is a completely comprehensive plan, it's global and it's implemented locally... It is in every single town all across the United States and across the world.'
 It is run by the United Nations via an NGO (Non Government Organization) called 'International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives', commonly known as ICLEI (pronounced Ik-lee), Local Governments for Sustainability.
 This is paid for by you, the taxpayer, without your consent - because you have not had a vote on its implementation.

That's my twopenceworth on politics.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »

Thank you for your kind support, Annett. The crazy thing is that your seeds, bought from the same shop all arrived here perfectly fine.

Of course, I will be very happy to reimburse you for the peppers, just pm me you bank/PayPal details.

YRTB

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »

Tommo, I emailed Remy about what happened with your order, as this is what could happen with any order she now gets from the UK.  Her response OMG :(. She has never had a problem mailing to the UK before this and thanked me for the heads up.
As to the pepper seeds, they have been ordered just have to wait for them to arrive before I can mail them off to you, they could take a couple of weeks getting here, depends what mood the postal system is in :(.  No need to reimburse, you must have a birthday coming up sometime this year, or if it's already gone by think of it as an early Christmas present. Now after saying that, let's hope they get through and it's not that your customs regulation have changed in the last couple of weeks and seeds from Canada are going to be banned too. I'll give you a heads up when they're on their way.

Gee, as far as politics go sometimes you just have to hold your nose and vote but do vote, pick who you think is the lesser of the evils and hope for the best.  In my mind they could have picked much better candidates on both sides that would actually work together for the betterment of the country. I don't know if you get the same news we do on what's going on states side, but it's a bl**dy mess and I can't help wondering how this is going to affect us here in Canada in the next few years. Nuff said on politics ;).

Annette

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:47:12 AM »

Hi Ya, you didn't say which company you bought from PT? from what you said the problem lies here in the UK it's our side who destroyed the seeds. In some ways I can understand the concern when you consider Japanese knot weed, but tomatoes and peppers, Did they tell you what the hazard was they were concerned about? surely they must expand on the reason, As for the USA and their politicians don't we have the same thing here? most of the so called politicians here are only looking after No1 and feathering their own nests. People keep saying it's brexit but I think mostly it is just an excuse to put prices up and make life more difficult for some. Hey ho I dont suppose we can do a ;ot no matter what. Glad I have my allotment, happy gardening

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »

I don't think it has much do do with the company they were bought from. It's a HMC & E job via DEFRA. They just do spot checks. Tommo I guess was unlucky and got picked. They just destroy the contents and give you a very truncated message to say what they've done, they don't expand much on that, they don't need to, you have no wriggle room because they have all the power and you have no recourse.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:26:52 AM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »

WOOOHOOOO - GOOD NEWS.

The packet of pepper seeds that Annette sent arrived yesterday morning.

Fully labelled with simple description of '4 Packets of Pepper Seeds'

THANK YOU ANNETTE.

:-)= YRTB

I sowed them yesterday as soon as I received them and they are keeping nice and snug in the propagator.

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 08:29:57 PM »

A good surprise .. 
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A good surprise .. 

It's OK scary - I think ol' Tommo is in a confuse people mood!  lol(1)
Pages: [1]   Go Up