Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It makes your heart melt!  (Read 391 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
It makes your heart melt!
« on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:46 PM »

Someone sent me this video link, I thought I'd share it with you all. If it doesn't tug at your heart strings nothing will! If you're depressed or down it should make you feel a lot better - because the best tonic to lift your spirits are the simple things that come from scenes like this:

<object width="640" height="385"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yyFjRXHJa6I&fs=1&start="></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yyFjRXHJa6I&fs=1&start=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

I once had a little fieldfare that used to follow me around my plot, and it would keep me company for hours (some of you may have seen some still photos of it a long time back). Sadly it got too tame and that was it's downfall, it got killed by a bloody cat  Angry:-{

If I could have got my hands on the cat it would have been doing the bottom crawl stroke in the nearby river!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: It makes your heart melt!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 12:51:24 AM »

Gorgeous
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:35:35 AM »

If you enjoyed that - have a listen to this story . . . .

<object width="640" height="385"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/daCiyk31hEQ&fs=1&start="></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/daCiyk31hEQ&fs=1&start=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

It makes you realise what we miss out on by not sharing more of our time with all those creatures in the wild - isn't it a shame that our 'civilized' lives take up so much of our time - like shopping at the supermarket  ::)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:18:18 AM »

LOVED IT... Nothing so exciting here but one day a momma robin had me digging worms for her. She was sitting on my pergola watching me dig, when I'd find a worm I'd toss it on the path, she'd dive down, pick it up then back to the pergola, if I wasn't digging fast enough, she would run up and down the pergola scolding me, cheeky thing.
Annette

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:01:19 PM »

clap:-) Very cool a lovely story loved it nice one Gee.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »

Another 'GORGEOUS' from me. What a heartwarming story.

I know that chickens are more of the domesticated type of bird but as we allow ours full free range it's possible to see their distant wild genes come to the fore. Choosing to roost up in the fruit trees instead of in the hen house, finding and building their own nest sites in thickets of nettles or under the hedges etc ( I can't remember how many times I've found clutches of up to a dozen eggs that have become abandoned ). Still, it's always a treat when we're sitting having a brew on the terrace next to the house when one or two come and hop up onto the back of an adjacent chair and spend time with us. Sometimes one will hop into Ruth's lap and have little 'conversations' with her. Digging post holes is virtually impossible as they are completely fearless of the spade as they drop into the hole for anything that wriggles.

Small experiences make up for big pleasures if only we make time for them.

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »

Here's one for you, when I was in my twenties I was given a few mongrel banties, one of their hatchlings was sickly, anyone in their right mind would have done it in, not me, I babied it until it could walk and eat on it's own. It never grew to full size, it was a runt. This little banty followed me everywhere, it would fly up and sit on my shoulder, if I lay out in the back yard to get a bit of a tan it would lie down beside me on the blanket wings outstretched.
When hubby had racing pigeons, one came home injured, it must have hit something it's legs were useless, hubby would have put it out of it's misery, not me I nursed it back to health,  when she got the use of her legs back she'd fly down and sit on my shoulder, after that she was only used to train young birds. Back then we could take pigeons across the border, we raced as far away as California (500 miles).
We had to give the rooster away to keep our neighbor at the time happy, he didn't appreciate the crowing early in the morning. I had one banty hen 'Penny' who hatched all the eggs I brought home, show her an egg and she'd go broody. She hatched Cornish and English game, Black East Indian ducks and one large Pekin which I called Sam but had to change the name to Samantha when she laid an egg. It was so comical to watch Sam when she started to grow, trying to get under Penny at night was comical and poor Penny when she saw her baby East Indians jump in the dishpan of water I'd put out for them she got frantic. Samantha had a kiddies wading pool, she'd dive in water going everywhere then she'd jump out and wait for me to fill it up again. Unfortunately a mink got in the pen one night and killed them all, broke my heart.

I'm so soft hearted when hubby traded some meat rabbits for duck meat he told his friend make sure they're dead before you bring them or we'll never get to eat any of them. Now you guys know when it comes to creatures I'm nothing but a big woose :).

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »

And a lovely "big woose" at that!  YRTB

I firmly believe that you can tell a lot about a person who treats animals like you do. It's hard to believe, but many only see them as something to kill or mistreat. That's why it's so nice to see members on here who are of the same ilke and love animals. Love and attraction to animals is definitely a good yardstick in my book, as to whether a person should be a friend or someone who should be ignored. Strange how so many animal lovers are also gardening lovers!

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »

It's a funny old world we live in really. I know what you mean when you talk about wanton killing, killing without any reason or compassion. But it still gets me thinking about my self sufficient situation at times like tomorrow when I take my two pigs off on their last journey.

I look at these lovely videos on here. I feed birds, nurture the very ground we live on...a real mother natures son. And yet.

Here am I raising pigs, chickens, lamb and, last year, beef cattle. I love them all and because of that they don't just survive, they thrive. The best food, best pasture, fresh, unadulterated spring water - everything they need to be their best. They are, sort of, part of the family.

Then.

At their allotted time they are sent off to the abattoir.

In truth, none of my animals would ever have existed if it wasn't for the fact that they, or their eggs, weren't going to be eaten... I still wonder about it though.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 07:06:42 PM »

I know exactly what you're getting at Tommo. It was a perennial problem during my childhood, being brought up on a 36 acre smallholding.

As children we would get so attached to our animals that it would be total heartache when they took their last journey. In fact I couldn't face eating meat at one stage. The thought of it made me feel really bad & 'odd' in my gut.

The worst thing was that the animals seemed to know when the day came. I remember my father having trouble getting two pigs out of the sty on one occasion. There wasn't any problem normally, but on the day they were to be slaughtered they wouldn't budge - very strange that. It makes you feel even worse when you think that they might be picking up some kind of 'vibe'. Made us feel like real traitors to the animals that we had nurtured, fed, and played with as children. It makes me feel a bit sad and guilty right now as I recall it.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »

You're right on there, Gee. Maybe it's we who think they look at us in a 'knowing' way on their last day, too as we know what's coming and the guilt allows us to project those feelings on to them.

Treachery is absolutely the right word.....still.....there's nothing quite like a fresh, home produced bacon butty topped with an organic free range egg..............now, what happened to that guilt???

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:30 AM »

Hmmmm . . . I still feel guilt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up