Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Colchester - I'm a newbie  (Read 850 times)

Kristina

• Plot Cultivator
Hello from Colchester - I'm a newbie
« on: March 07, 2017, 03:28:41 PM »

So much to do... loving all the threads and icons etc.
My first post, may I ask a question... already!
I have a 6' by 8' gas tank in my garden that I would like to screen with bright fast growing evergreen shrubs. Having done some research, I have narrowed down to two. Choisya Ternata or Limelight Elaeagnus. Both with yellow tones.
Which is the fastest grower? I can afford approx. 120 for say, two shrubs.
If I should be posting this query on another board please advise me.
Many thanks, looking forward to many more views and chats on here.
xxx  HAGD :-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Hello from Colchester - I'm a newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »

Hi Kristina! Welcome aboard!

Personally I'm not an expert on Choisya Ternata or Limelight Elaeagnus (more a veg. man). HOWEVER if no one else beats me to it, I'll get the answer for you.

No problem asking a question with your maiden post on here. However if you look down the 'boards' list on the main page, you'll find a few boards reserved for gardening questions.

Once again, a warm welcome, you'll soon find you're part of a big friendly 'family' on here. I look forward to your future posts  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:51:46 AM »

hi
how about spotted Laurel , found this

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:55:45 AM »

your choice !!!!!
found this also  choisya 

Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »

Hi Kristina, another big hello from across the pond. Will be looking forward to getting to know you.

Annette

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »

Hi and welcome from Devon.

I'm  self sufficient smallholder who has rather a fixation with, tomatoes, blueberries, apples, garlics, pork, homebrew, bees and lots of other good stuff. Not to mention the wonderful Aeron Purple Star.

It's a friendly bunch on here, if, at times, a bit curmudgeonly so enjoy your stay and feel free to ask away - you will always get an answer....sometimes not what you would expect ThU32:-)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »

Kristina:
Mexican Orange Blossom (Choisya Ternata) - as the name suggests - it originates in South America, so it's not the hardiest of shrubs for the UK climate. I'm not sure what the winter weather is like in Colchester, but the BIG enemies of this shrub are the cold - especially in a windy location. So if you plan to plant it in a shady spot that's exposed to wind, and your winter temperatures fall below -3oC then you may have difficulties. I'm not sure how vigorous it is, but as a rule of thumb any plant grown out of it's natural environment (especially if it's new lodgings are in a colder  & harsher climate) is seldom as vigorous or as successful as if it was grown on 'home' ground! Nice as Colchester is, I don't think it can compete with Mexico! A hell of a nice plant though, and fragrant. Beware of snail attack - apparently they often munch on the bark, which is quite unusual, and can cause problems by 'ring barking' plants they attack. It's not fussy about it's soil type (or pH levels - within reason of course), however on the positive side it is very drought resistant (as you'd expect from a Mexican plant - they grow cactuses there don't they?!)

Limelight Elaeagnus is tougher cookie. It is quite a fast growing shrub at approx 30-45cm a year, in the right conditions, and should be trimmed to shape in spring. Unlike the Choisya Ternata this is a very tough plant, it is fully hardy and will tolerate dry soil, growing in full sun or partial shade and is happy in seaside gardens and exposed sites. It won't jib at the cold - unlike the Mexican Orange Blossom. However it only flowers in the autumn. It has beautifully fragrant creamy white flowers in autumn, and it needs to be planted in winter. In fact it is more of a hedging plant often selected in salt air environments that other hedges find difficult to survive in.

The two choices you have made are not really 'like for like' it is more like comparing apples with oranges! The Mexican Orange Blossom will require more TLC, will be quite delicate and not as fast growing. The Limelight Elaeagnus on the other hand is built for our harshest winters and is really a hedging plant - where you plant a row of it to make a hedge. The MOB is more of a 'stand-alone' plant. Now, to hide a big outdoor gas tank, I would advise looking at a climber (Clematis or Honeysuckle), or even something like a Virginia Creeper, that would cover the eyesore in quick time.

I hope that helps!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »

clap:-) Hi Kristina welcome aboard the shed looks like you got your ? answered in detail from Gee hope it proves useful to you.
Hope you enjoy looking around at all the old posts on here.
Dave from Brum

Kristina

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

Wow, hello to you all. And thank you for all your suggestions. I am sending a quick reply just now whilst I digest all these posts. Speak soon.

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »

Hi Ya kristina and welcome, Any questions or help with topics this is the place as alot of knowledge here and nice people who will take time to help research. Enjoy

from not far away in Bury

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »

Hi and welcome from Devon.

I'm  self sufficient smallholder who has rather a fixation with, tomatoes, blueberries, apples, garlics, pork, homebrew, bees and lots of other good stuff. Not to mention the wonderful Aeron Purple Star.

It's a friendly bunch on here, if, at times, a bit curmudgeonly so enjoy your stay and feel free to ask away - you will always get an answer....sometimes not what you would expect ThU32:-)

'Curmudgeon' - you bloody show-off Tommo! Where the hell did you dig that one up from? Or rather, how long did you take to find it in an on-line thesaurus!!!

A simple ol' country boy like me, from an honest (but piss-pot poor) working class background, would much prefer to be labelled "a grumpy old git"  lol(1)

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:59:22 AM »

My father was more than a bit curmudgeonly, being a single minded, stubborn, self-opinionated Yorkshireman with a personality disorder so I learned the word at a very early age! I also used to love listening to that BBC radio show with Frank Muir and what's his name Robinson...Call My Bluff, so I probably learned it from there.

I was talking to my mate, Dave the Welder, who has one of those Calor gas tanks a few yards from his back door. He simply put a trellis in front of it, planted jasmine AND honeysuckle up it and had a wonderful scented barrier.

My 88 yearold mother discovered a wonderful fruiting shrub called 'prunus tomentosa' sometimes called Nanking cherry, and bought me one a couple of years ago. I have it next to a gateway and it is, as we speak, a mass of delicate pinky white flowers. These flowers are followed by masses of tiny, deep red, edible berries berries that are quite tart but which make a most delicious jelly.

So there's my h'aporth...a barrier that gives wonderful scent and fruit. What more could you ask. Of course, whatever you plant against it, unless it is an evergreen, you will see through it during the winter months anyway.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: [1]   Go Up