Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Killing Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata)  (Read 214 times)

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
Killing Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata)
« on: March 04, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »

We are getting to old to maintain it on the side of the house, don't relish climbing ladders anymore. It looks lovely in all it's fall glory and the fresh green leaves in spring and summer frame my little courtyard on one side, I have English ivy on a high fence on the other side, this is not a problem as we take the hedge trimmer to it every spring.

Now that the leaves are gone we though cutting a section out just above ground to about two feet might kill this ivy, I don't mind the framework staying on the stucco, in fact I like the rustic look of it, the twiggy bits will snap off when dry and I've seen birds taking bits for their nests.

Now the short stump still in the ground, don't want to and not going to dig, I have an old bottle of vinegar in the house will this work if I drill a hole in the stump and keep pouring vinegar in? Those toxic herbicides sold for so many years have been banned here,  we can still get Roundup but I won't use it.
Annette

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: Killing Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »

Hello Annette not sure about vinegar killing it but i think rock salt will it,s the stuff we get to rid us of snow and ice on the paths ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:00:22 AM »

Thanks Scary, have some  rock salt so will give it a try.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »

The way vinegar works is on the foliage. It's acetic acid. Acetic acid is found in all living organisms. It is readily broken down to carbon dioxide and water. Vinegar consists of approximately 5% acetic acid and 95% water. This is also the concentration of acetic acid when applied as a pesticide product. To be effective, acetic acid needs to contact the plant leaves; the acidity of the spray solution damages and dries out the leaves.

Vinegar is non-selective and may damage any plant tissue. It does not move within treated plants, so only top growth is killed. This means perennial weeds return. Vinegar is fast acting and most effective on young, actively growing annual weeds, and good spray coverage is critical. So not an ideal thing to get rid of stumps!

If you can find some copper nails (often at boat chandlers, I believe you can also get them on Amazon), get your little hammer out and pop as many as you can into the stump - it will lose the urge to resurrect itself.

Apparently copper sulphate put into drilled holes in the stump will not only kill it but also accelerate the rotting process. Copper is one substance, although quite deadly to plants is accepted as an organic preparation in the UK - not sure about Canada. It's sure as hell more eco friendly than anything Monsanto or Bayer concoct in their labs from hell!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »

Thanks Gee, I'll look into copper right away :)

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:32:58 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks Gee, I'll look into copper right away :)

Annette

You're welcome aunty Annette!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:51:55 PM »

Copper nails are also available at any roofing hardware depots as they are used to anchor (see what I did there using a boating reference) roof slates. Probably cheaper from roofing supplies - chandlers can be very expensive.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

aftermidnight

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »

Tommo,  our daughter is one of the owners of the best Chandler on the island, I think I may have an in there Grin2:-). By the way the tomato seeds arrived in this mornings mail, thanks a bunch. I'll let you know how I get on with them  YRTB.

Annette

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »

Great news about the seeds arriving and your potential copper nail supply. I'll be owing my tomato seeds at the end of next week. Btw I followed your Sample Seeds info and ordered some more stuff from them...I must be mad.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: [1]   Go Up