Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need guidance for gardening  (Read 125 times)

Eric02

• Plot Cultivator
Need guidance for gardening
« on: March 02, 2017, 06:11:31 AM »

Hello all,
I have decided to grow a garden in my backyard. I have heard one of my friends saying that his garden was spoiled by pests. So I'm a bit confused on how to start a pest free garden. I need some guidelines from you all for gardening. I found few tips online You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, but along with this, I would like to get a few more suggestions. How can I know whether my soil is nutrient rich?? Also, does anyone here knows how to make homemade mulch??
My wife then came up with an idea of a backyard shed Kitchener. Does anyone here have any idea on this?? Is there shed Kitchener in your backyard? It will be of great help if you could share your ideas and pics of shed Kitchener if possible. Thanks in advance.

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Need guidance for garden
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »

Well, you've chosen a good few subjects there, Eric.

I would take it step by step and build up slowly.

Have you had your garden long?

The first thing I would do is have a look at what grows well in your type of soil. Ask you neighbours what they grow best and how they do it.

'Nutrient Rich' will be different for many plants.

How big is your garden?

What do you want to grow? This will help you to decide on the neccessary nutrients.

Mulch making is relatively straight forward. You can start by making/acquiring a good sized compost bin - look up mulches and/or compost making on here.

You don't mention what the 'pest' problem is - do you have any info' on this?

It will be easier if you could break down your questions into small steps that can be dealt with piecemeal then keep some notes. That way we can build up a picture of how we can help.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Need guidance for gardening
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »

A good place to start would be by surfing my other site at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Don't get put off by references to 'allotment gardening', the basics are the same for all gardening, whether in your back yard or on a 3002 yard allotment plot.

More specifically this page for 'starters': You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As Tommo says you need to do a quick evaluation before you start.

1.  Check the type of soil you have
(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
2.  Find out how acidic/ alkaline your soil is (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
3.  Learn a little bit about soil nutrition (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
4.  Understand composting  (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) + (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

And of course ASK QUESTIONS, especially of others who are gardening in the same vicinity as you, as they probably have experience of what works best in your area.

I hope that helps to get you started!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

toptaff

• Plot Cultivator
Re: Need guidance for gardening
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 06:41:09 PM »

Gosh! A pest free garden! I for one would love to have one of those!

A compost heap can be your best friend,in my opinion. You can get lots of advice from here as making compost is something of a dark art but well worth the effort.

Pages: [1]   Go Up