Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 2017 grow list  (Read 508 times)

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
My 2017 grow list
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »

Sitting here looking out the window at another depressingly dull day, snow on the ground and the icy looking street out front I thought why not make out my potential grow list for this year.
I usually have my tomatoes started by now, I keep potting them on and grow them in the greenhouse until it's safe to plant out usually around May 24th., they're usually flowering by then.
Dealing with a real winter this year has put me in low gear :(. This year it's going to be mostly heirlooms again with the exception of 'Celebrity' the only hybrid I grow, it always does well for me. I'm not going to grow as many varieties this year and only two plants of each.

Cherries...
'Yellow' Pear from seed Tommo sent me
'Cherrio' a red
'Cherokee Green Grape'
'Black Opal' again from Tommo

Other heirlooms...
'Rio Fuego', very firm flesh, not juicy, nice in a Greek salad.
'Goldman's Italian American' love it's pleated edges, slices look really pretty on a plate
'Provendanzo', nice size, good flavored Italian heirloom.
'Mrs. Schlaubaugh's Famous Strawberry' trying again with this one, our tomatoes were a bust last year because of the cool summer we had. This is a pink skinned tomato, it won a taste test in New York in 2015.
'Cherokee Purple' a must every year, love it's smokey flavor.
I think that's it, but you never know with me :).

Still pondering what beans I'll grow other than....
'Aeron Purple Star' I should be giving this one a miss as I really need to grow the 'Gigandes' to refresh my seed stash, maybe I can plant a few of these at my daughter's place.
'White seeded Cherokee Trail of Tears' grew these last year, we really liked them.
'Emilia's Italian Pole' I've been growing this one off and on since 1965.
'Grandma Nellie's Yellow Mushroom' yes the cooked beans have a slight mushroom flavor.

I still have to pick a couple of varieties eaten as full beans and I have some new greasy beans to trial. I'll add to this thread when it's written in stone.

I left some of the yacon in the tubs they were grown in, moved them to my cool greenhouse for the winter, hopefully the tubers will still be good and I'll have some nice starts to plant up next month.
Other than the above I'll be planting lettuce, beets, potato onions and a couple of plants of rat tailed radish, great flavor and not the problem of worms getting into the bulbs. Also a sample of Ozette fingerling potatoes.

I'm going to move my few sea kale and skirret plants to a better location, this will be their third year, what's the saying...First year sleep, second year creep, third year leap, we'll see, moving them might set them back a year.

Anyone else have their lists made out? Oh, we might even put in a small block of corn that is if I don't run out of steam Grin2:-). Big plans for a small garden, this is why I rarely grow bush beans, poles take up less space.

Annette

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: My 2017 grow list
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »

Your a busy bee Annette i must sort out my grow list just have not found the time recently only got to pay for my plot yesterday was suppose to have been paid for in january ..  Maybe i will get to sit down and sort things out this weekend well sunday maybe as i have got to go to the potato sale on saturday so need to decide what i want for the plot before then ...
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:13:48 AM »

You sure are organised, Annette. I haven't even made me seed list out. I do need to ask you, though, how did you get on with container yacon?

Good results or bad? The yacon I grew in the ground were HUGE. Massive, thick roots that I could barely get to the bottom of, so I would be interested in knowing how yours performed.

I'm thinking of trying some Oca in tubs this year.

The keeled garlics you sent me are doing well in pots and when I've re-vamped my herb garden I'll find a corner all of their own.

I don't subscribe to big Gee's hatred of garlic at all, having read copious amounts of for' sand against's, including Gee's links. I love the stuff, my body does well on it, it hasn't rendered me 'stupid' and I rarely suffer any kind of cold symptoms or infections so, I find the snipped leaves of those keeled garlic a delightful addition to any salad. So thank you for sending me them. Just for your interest here is a website with plenty of links to follow on a rainy day...You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I agree about this winter. Seems to have gone on or ever. We had a glimpse of Spring yesterday with a full, warm sun. The bees were going about their spring cleaning and I was out with my mate and chainsaws harvesting wood for next winter. Today I'm knackered...with a capital 'F' ! Over worked the muscles heaving all that wood about. So today I will only do light duties.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

aftermidnight

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:03:03 PM »

Tommo, the first year I grew Yacon I grew it in those square white food safe buckets I'm  guessing are around 4-5 gallons. The yacon grew and produced a few sizable tubers, getting them out of the buckets was a little difficult but easier than digging. This past year I planted a couple out, when dug the tubers were much larger and one plant had even started to flower. The rest were again planted in those buckets, dragged into the greenhouse in the fall, they still put on some growth before they died back. I wanted to see if this would be a good way to store the  tubers until used as well as keep the small tubers at the top in good condition. If this turns out to be successful this is the way I will grow and store in the future, maybe smaller tubers but so much easier for me to handle. I haven't managed to figure out how to post pictures here but will email you a picture when I empty one of the  bucket. On another forums I spend some time on I just have to drag my picture from my desktop into the message and then click on the size I want or hit the photo button and select from my desktop. I don't use photo bucket or any other photo hosting site.

Glad to hear you had  success with the keeled garlic, funny thing since I bought a single plant about 10 years ago I've never seen it for sale anywhere, of course the man who owned the herb farm at the time grew a lot of herbs not usually found. The place changed hands and don't have anywhere near the selection anymore.
By the way did you ever get seed from that little cherry tomato  Garden Pearl (Gartenperle) I'm still looking for that one apparently they do well in hanging baskets.

lol(1) Garlic, we use a lot too, especially on garlic toast which my hubby loves. I take several cloves, put though a garlic press  into some butter or Becel and spread on split buns. Pop under the broiler until bubbly and just starting to brown around the edges.
My neighbor originally from northern china swears by it. In his nineties now, uses mountains of the stuff, eats it raw he even pickles it in soy sauce, he also makes Kumbucha, has done his whole life as his mother made it when he was a child. He  could also do that noodle thing where you start with a rolled piece of dough, stretch it and fling it about, once he got going his hands looked like he was doing one of those string puzzles, if I tried that it would end up on the ceiling as well as the walls and floor lol(1). He also does a dish with bolted lettuce stalks, another with a single potato cut into slivers, when cooked the potato slivers are still crisp, yummy.

Annette

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:56:58 PM »

Garlic toast...mmmm....my mouth is watering just at the thought...I love it too. If we have friends round for a supper we will often slice a fresh baguette part way through in slices so it still holds itself together, make up a rich garlic butter exactly the same way as you do and spread each slice on one side,  only then I bag it in tin foil and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes or so. Fab.

Yes I did get you some garden pearl and will get it into the post tomorrow....just as soon as can find where I hid it..

Here's a quick, simple supper snack which, if you don't know it already, you might like to try.

1 small onion, peeled and very finely chopped - grated even if you want - I prefer the tiny pieces.
As much grated cheese as you want
Enough salad cream - not mayo - to make a spreadable consistency when mixed with the finely chopped onion and grated cheese.
Add pepper if you like, we do.

Put the grill on high and toast some thick sliced bread of your choice on ONE SIDE ONLY. Ruth loves white bread, I prefer seedy bread.

Remove from the grill, butter the untoasted side and spread on a good layer of the mixture, right to the edges to prevent the edges over-toasting.

Pop under the grill and monitor it until it bubbles and just turns brownish.

CAREFUL WITH THIS BIT...the temperature and consistency of the topping now resembles napalm, so unless you want to melt your lips and the roof of your mouth, allow it to cool down to just warm before tucking in.

This is a real winter comfort snack, great with a glass of beer, or with a red wine.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »

Good job your Chinese neighbour compensates with Kombucha Annette, otherwise goodness knows how much damage that garlic would have caused by now!!!  CW ;-)

You make your garlic toast recipe sound almost edible Tommo - even for a wise old garlicphobe like me! The other recipe with salad cream sounds really nice though - and far less dangerous for your brain!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »

Thanks Tommo,  YRTB. Now what can I send you, anything you're looking for I might be able to snag for you :).

Your supper snack sounds delicious, it's now on the top of my to try list. I know hubby's going to love it. Explain salad cream to me, not a mayo or Miracle Whip? Is it something you make up. Gran used to make up a salad dressing using condensed milk, sugar and hot mustard powder, is it something similar?

Annette

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 12:25:46 AM »

I thought everybody knows what salad cream is...it's an alternative to Mayo, is similar but with more bite and Zingyness

You surely will have seen Heinz Salad Cream in a supermarket.

Ruth loves salad cream on her chips (French Fries). I love it on my, well, erm, ...salads, especially chicken salad sandwiches.

aftermidnight

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:06:30 AM »

Heinz Salad Cream, I'll have to look for it. The ingredients listed in those recipes are similar to the dressing gran made, it did have a zing :).  I probably forgot a couple of ingredients, I was only 10 when I went to live with them for a year.
I was rooting around in my seed stash and found a couple of tomato varieties you might like to try, I'll pop them in the mail on Monday.

Annette

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »

If your unable to buy salad cream you could always try and make your own ..

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 tablespoon plain flour
    2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    180ml milk
    1 egg, beaten
    60ml vinegar

Method
Prep:5min  ›  Cook:10min  ›  Ready in:15min

In a saucepan over a medium heat, melt the butter then stir in the flour, sugar, cayenne and mustard.
    Add the milk gradually, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and add in the beaten egg, stirring constantly. Return to the heat and cook for several minutes until the sauce is a nice and thick consistency.
    Allow the salad cream to cool slightly and then add the vinegar gradually, stirring after each addition.
    Pour the salad cream into a sterile bottle and store in the fridge until needed and between uses.

ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

aftermidnight

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »

Thanks for the recipes, I've written them down  ThU32:-).

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »

This is what it looks like Annette:

And this is what Heinz says about it's product:

After a century of being a must-have ingredient in lunchboxes and picnic hampers up and down the country, Heinz Salad Cream is still the ‘Original Tangy Taste’ that makes it one of Britain’s best-loved sauces.

Heinz Salad Cream has 60% less fat than the standard mayonnaise market leader and has no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.

I'm surprised you haven't come across it in Canada Annette, because The H. J. Heinz Company, or Heinz, is an American food processing company with world headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was founded by Henry John Heinz in 1869. The H. J. Heinz Company manufactures thousands of food products in plants on five continents, and markets these products in more than 200 countries and territories. The company claims to have 150 number-one or number-two brands worldwide. I believe it is now part of the Kraft food empire (a bit of information trivia from Wikipedia).  Grin2:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

aftermidnight

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »

FOUND IT  ThU:-), Heinz English Salad Cream, gave it the taste test and found it to be quite nice but it needs a little more zing to compare to the one my gran made sooooo, tomorrow I'll add a little more hot mustard powder and make Tommo's grilled cheese and onion sandwich for lunch, my mouth is starting to water in anticipation :). Also I want to try the recipes above, they might even be better.

Annette

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 11:41:07 PM »

Lovely.

I think we should all have a toasty cook-in tomorrow, just to celebrate our international gastronomic brother (and sister) hood relations.

aftermidnight

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »

Didn't get to have it today, decided to use a bit of leftover pork roast in sandwiches for lunch but the cheese and onion on buns is on the menu tomorrow. Might even add a bit of crispy bacon to the mix :).

Annette

aftermidnight

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »

Well, finally got to make this, was going to make it for lunch but ended up making it for a light supper as one of our boys came up with his wife to be and took us out for a hearty lunch. I altered the recipe a bit, chopped a few mushrooms and fried them up in some diced bacon, split and toasted a couple of ciabatta buns, piled on the mushroom and bacon and topped with the cheddar cheese, diced onion, salad cream mix. Popped under the broiler until bubbly. Hubby sprinkled a few hot pepper flakes on his. Man, were they good, I'll be making those again and often. That salad cream really added to the flavor.
I've made something similar that I just call stack ups :). Split hamburger buns in half, toast and butter, pile on the bacon mushroom bit and then chopped green pepper, diced onion and tomato, cap off with a layer of cheddar. sprinkle on a little garlic salt and pop under the broiler until bubbly, these are a little messier to eat if not eating with a knife and fork. If eating sitting in front of the telly add one dog sitting at your feet for immediate cleanup.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up