Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeron Purple Star requests - sorted (at last)  (Read 214 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Aeron Purple Star requests - sorted (at last)
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »

FINALLY got all my APS requests sorted - thanks in no small part to Her Indoors! So tomorrow I hope to get them all posted off at the Post Office. I usually manage to get them out by the end of October, but 'things' have delayed matters this season.

This year, almost as many are going to the US as the UK. Some also going to Holland, Sweden, Canada & the Czech Republic. Becoming quite global aren't they? Less requests this year than last year though, but that suits me fine. It was bit of a squeaky bum experience when those bunnies raided Tommo's patch!  what:-o
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Aeron Purple Star requests - sorted (at last)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 11:12:36 PM »

Ahh, yes, those furry little blighters. Don't worry this year, Gee, I'm fully armed with chicken wire and staples...got to keep one jump ahead.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ahh, yes, those furry little blighters. Don't worry this year, Gee, I'm fully armed with chicken wire and staples...got to keep one jump ahead.

Whew! No squeaky bums this year then! You're a star mate  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

clawford

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »

Gwilym,
Thanks for sending the bean seeds; all arrived in good nick.
Had a great crop last year and hoping for the same this season with the (literal) support of the ingenious "V Frame" which you might recall was erected at the end of 2015 with the indispensable help of my appropriately named dog, Beano, whose photo has already graced the forum site; clever little fellow.
Neighbouring plot holders have requested surplus seeds from me after seeing my produce last year (my first) so Aberaeron is becoming well known in this corner of leafy Warwickshire too.
Cheers,
CLawford

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:59:52 AM »

Oh yes I remember it well - your little helper called 'Beano'!

Wonderful news that you're spreading the gospel of the Aeron Purple Stars over in Warwickshire. Music to my ears! Hearing reports like that just makes all the years of patient, tedious work of selective breeding so worthwhile. Far better than money in the bank.

If you get everyone on your site to grow them you'll have no risks of cross pollination. 

Here's wishing you well with this year's crop! ThU5:-)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »

I remember us having several conversations about 'copywriting' APS, Gee.

Interestingly whilst exploring a seed site (The Sample Seed Store) that Annette pointed me at I came across a little hot, sweet pepper called 'Juanita'.

A good few years ago, probably about 18 years ago,  I was introduced to a stuffed, pickled, sweet-hot pepper called 'Peppadew'; a truly delicious treat that originated in South Africa as a chance find growing in the scrub of a farm. They were copywrited/patented/licenced and despite my most fervent efforts I could not track down any seed/plug plants/nothing. The only way to enjoy these was by buying a jar of them. They must have protected that pepper with armed guards.

However.

I noticed on The Sample Seed website that they are now available as seed under the name of 'Juanita', with the information that the patent had lapsed after 20 years. That seems like quite a short time to hold a copywrite or patent (or whatever they call it) for a plant variety like APS that I know has taken Gee something like 15 years to develop. Coupled with cost of all the legals to put protection in place it makes me wonder about whether it's worth it.

I suppose, also, that anyone can take a seed, grow it out, collect the seed and re-name it. Without doing expensive DNA tests, who would know if it was a 'stolen' variety.

It's no wonder that the massive globals with their sponsored cash-flows can easily snap up our old varieties that are out if licence and take them off the market and then go on to sue anyone keeping their (our) own seed.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »

Interesting Tommo. I've been playing with the thought of registering it. However it is quite expensive, and it's one of those things you file in your head under "must do when I get a chance".

It takes 2 years of trials to ensure it comes true, and if it does, a DNA profile is created for it. However, if it did pop up under a different name, and I became aware of that, the costs of proving it was an APS would fall on me for proof. It's difficult for the 'little' man when it comes to fighting his own corner. It's all loaded to eventually shut everyone out except the big companies. It's unfair and blantantly biased to the side of big business.

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »

Just had to mention although I have never meet her in person I have dealt with Remy owner of the Sample Seed Shop for a long time, we even swap seeds ;D. She's about the only one I buy seeds from now and she keeps my bean addiction going with another heirloom she has just found :). The amount of seed in her packets is just right for me and the price is very reasonable, besides being open pollinated you can save your own seed ThU:-).
Rob, it was Remy who sent me the Mrs. Schlaubaugh's Famous Strawberry tomato to try, as I said it was a bad season for tomatoes here last year and only got a taste but it was good, hopefully I'll have better luck this year.

Annette

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »

And thanks again for them, Annette, I too am looking forward to them. I love trying out recommendations as they are usually the ones to go for.

I have ordered some stuff from there - mostly tomatoes, would you believe - and peppers, including the famed 'Peppadew' (now 'Juanita'). I'll grow them out, save some seed and make sure you get a nice selection at the end of the year.

Here's my shopping cart.
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102) !important]et Bell Mix'
Item Number pepSBMix
$2.25 USD1$2.25 USDPepper 'Chinese Giant'
Item Number pepChG
$1.50 USD1$1.50 USDPepper, sweet 'Corno Di Toro Rosso'
Item Number pepCDTR
$1.50 USD1$1.50 USDPepper 'Chervena Chushka'
Item Number pepCherC
$2.00 USD1$2.00 USDPepper 'Juanita'
Item Number pepJua
$2.00 USD1$2.00 USDWhite Cherry
Item Number tomWhC
$1.25 USD1$1.25 USDTomato 'Sweet Million' F1
Item Number tomSwMi
$1.50 USD1$1.50 USDTomato 'Sweet Aperitif'
Item Number tomSwAp
$1.75 USD1$1.75 USDTomato 'Solanum spontaneum'
Item Number tomSola
$1.75 USD1$1.75 USDRio Grande
Item Number tomRioG
$1.25 USD2$2.50 USDTomato 'Remy Rouge'
Item Number tomRemR
[/color]
[/font]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:47:33 AM by Poppa Tommo »

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Interesting Tommo. I've been playing with the thought of registering it. However it is quite expensive, and it's one of those things you file in your head under "must do when I get a chance".

It takes 2 years of trials to ensure it comes true, and if it does, a DNA profile is created for it. However, if it did pop up under a different name, and I became aware of that, the costs of proving it was an APS would fall on me for proof. It's difficult for the 'little' man when it comes to fighting his own corner. It's all loaded to eventually shut everyone out except the big companies. It's unfair and blantantly biased to the side of big business.

On that theme. Long story shortened...I have need to seriously reduce my blood sugars - I've been type 2 for about ten years and have managed ( mismanaged at times usf:-(  ) my sugar levels with diet. My latest results have been a bit scary - no, not you, H - so I'm having to get a grip and cut out the usual culprits, bread, grains, spuds etc until I'm back I control.

So - back to the theme.

I found an excellent alternative 'bread' recipe that is amazingly very low carbohydrate. Based on ground almonds and psyllium huske it contains NO grains, no fats (other than in the almond), with only egg whites, salt, water, cider vinegar and baking powder. So I looked up 'Psyllium'. ( Worth doing if you have five minutes)

Been around in the Asian continent for millennia,  used by millions for thousands of years as dietary and livestock feed. So what did Proctor and Gamble do when they discovered the husk was a valuable digestion substance? Only went and patented it - successfully - have a look below. How long before they begin to control the farmers in India who are the world,s main growers? How long before they join the leagues of GMO pirates and further their control.

There seem to be a lot of wedges with very thin edges.
The use of psyllium husk as a normalizing agent for bowel function was discovered by Melvin A. Barbera. The patent for this discovery was filed on May 6, 1993 and was approved on August 23, 1994. [size=0.75em][/color]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/size][/size] The patent for Metamucil is owned by [/color]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. There are also patents for Metamucil in Canada, Mexico, Spain, Germany, Ireland, Japan, and Australia.[/size][size=0.75em][/color]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/size][/font]
[/size]Metamucil is also a trademark of P&G. The first trademark for Metamucil was filed in 1934 and was renewed until 2005.[/size][size=0.75em]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/size]
[/size]After 2005, the logo for Metamucil was updated and therefore a new trademark was submitted and approved.[size=0.75em][/color]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/size][/font][/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up