Author Topic: Neem Oil  (Read 2194 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Neem Oil
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
Hi Ya, I have been hearing about Neem oil as a pesticide and it's properties and wondered if any one here has used it? is it as good as said? We have abig problem with whitefly and it is supposed to be good at dealing with these. I have done a bit of reading and just thought I would get what all think. Happy gardening.

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
Re: Neem Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
Hi Ya, I have been hearing about Neem oil as a pesticide and it's properties and wondered if any one here has used it? is it as good as said? We have abig problem with whitefly and it is supposed to be good at dealing with these. I have done a bit of reading and just thought I would get what all think. Happy gardening.
well I have just ordered neem  oil off eBay £13.74 per litre
must be worth a try
where's tommo he's in to stuff like this
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
I first came across neem as a herb, when No. 3 son went to a Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev convention for a weekend (Sadguru is the Founder of the Isha Foundation). Alex is into his eastern mystic stuff! Each morning they were encouraged to take two small balls of both neem & turmeric. Apparently they have big effects on general health when combined together. Many people in the west have heard of neem oil as an insecticide, but few are aware of the amazing and varied medicinal properties of neem leaves.

In India the situation is different. Ayurvedic medicine has always strongly relied on the leaf. Over 75% of Ayurvedic remedies contain neem, usually in the form of leaves of the plant or as an extract. Sometimes the bark, fruit or flowers butand almost NEVER the oil.

The leaf is also the part of the neem plant that western medicine knows the most about. The majority of scientific neem studies was done with neem leaf or neem leaf extracts.

Neem oil is neem seed oil, not neem leaf oil as some people wrongly assume. It can be made safe for consumption, and especially the use of neem oil for birth control (as a "male pill") continues to generate a lot of interest. However, it really needs special knowledge and treatment before neem oil can be taken internally. So don't go swigging the stuf you've bought lottieguy!!!!

Not so for the leaf. Neem leaves are considered safe to take internally on a regular or daily basis (provided you aren't pregnant or trying to conceive.) In the thousands of years that people across India have been taking neem there have never been any reports of negative side effects from leaves.

Of course, you should still use common sense, as you should with any herbs. Start by trying a little to make sure you don't show any allergic reaction, and generally don't overdo it. As magical as all the medicinal properties sound, neem is not a magical cure all that will simply fix anything if you just take enough... But it can help with a lot, if taken sensibly.

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »
Hi Ya, Cheers BG, I haven't bought any yet but was really interested as more and more natural products are being tried and used again, Garlic has surprised me with the amount of uses and properties that has. What product did you buy spuds? you must of been reading up on it as well. Interesting I think and will be good to hear how you get on and how and on what you used and against what pest. Happy gardening

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pure-Neem-Oil-1-Litre-500ml-200ml-100ml-50ml-10ml-10-Free-/111248463881?var=&hash=item19e6ecd809:m:mLYSn1dWRcVpOkf-VKK_JWg

this is the one o have ordered off eBay
always willing to try out something different , hoping it will work on black/ white fly
may have a go at watering it on round carrots see if it helps against carrot root fly
I have heard that growers use garlic spay on carrots but can't find that
I had better watch out talking about GARLIC or BG may ban me  ROL :-)) ROL :-)) ROL :-)) ROL :-)) ROL :-)) ROL :-)) 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:21:04 PM by spuds »
Spuds (mick Ford)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
Hi Ya, Cheers BG, I haven't bought any yet but was really interested as more and more natural products are being tried and used again, Garlic has surprised me with the amount of uses and properties that has. What product did you buy spuds? you must of been reading up on it as well. Interesting I think and will be good to hear how you get on and how and on what you used and against what pest. Happy gardening

Mostly to do with killing lottieguy. Garlic kills everything from microbes (good & bad) to humans & everything else in between - including plants! Stick to the Neem oil, as long as you don't mind your tackle becoming redundant  :-)snigger but I guess like most of us on here, you won't be planning on much more reproduction!!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:22:18 PM »
That's a good price on eBay Spuds, 99p a litre can't be bad.

You watch your tongue young man or I'll be forced to wash your mouth out with GARLIC - then you'll be sorry! Dead, but sorry, still it'll save me having to ban you for promoting the 'Devil's food'!

Offline spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
ah its £13.74 for 1 litre, postage free  Secret:-)

garlic lovely stuff me thinks  cwl:-]
Spuds (mick Ford)

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »
Hi Ya, They use garlic on the fields in Norfolk apparently to ward the dreaded onion white rot. I am trying it out on site as it supposedly tricks the fungal spores into thinking onion family are growing then they die off. You can also use it to ward of white fly etc, haven't got that far yet. I like garlic in small doses. May I ask why the hatred of it BG? I get my garlic powder from our local farm supplier who have it for horse's. My mate keeps horses and uses it mixed in the food as it keeps fly's away from them. Interesting. As for neem oil and reproduction when thy did my eyes the nurse said take take it easy and don't build up presssure by exercise jogging etc, I said what about a bit of the other, she said perdon me, I said it doesn't matter I don't get any any way. Heh Ho  ROL :-)) Where did you hear about neem oil spuds?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:39:21 AM by lottieguy »

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:36 PM »
Hi Ya, . . . . .  May I ask why the hatred of it BG? . . . .

Because it kills, and if it doesn't kill, it makes you stupid!!! I've written reams about the effects of garlic on this forum in the past.

Just to recap here are just six reasons - there are many more:

1.  Garlic is toxic to humans because its sulphone hydroxyl ions penetrate the blood-brain barrier and are poisonous to brain cells.

2.  For precisely the same reason the garlic family of plants has been widely recognized as being harmful to dogs.

3.  As far back as the 1950s it was known that garlic reduced reaction time by two to three times when consumed by pilots taking flight tests. This is because the toxic effects of garlic desynchronize brain waves.

4.  As well as producing offensive breath and body odour, garlic induces aggravation, agitation, anxiety and aggression. Thus they are harmful physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

5. Even when garlic is used as food in Chinese culture it is considered harmful to the stomach, liver and eyes, and a cause of dizziness and scattered energy when consumed in immoderate amounts.

6.  It is widely accepted among health care professionals that, as well as killing harmful bacteria, garlic also destroys beneficial bacteria, which are essential to the proper functioning of the digestive system.

Using garlic as an insecticide, herbicide or even an anti fungal agent is fine. But don't ingest it or even worse don't introduce raw garlic oil to your blood stream it WILL kill you. Would any sane person take into their body an insecticide/ herbicide that kills all other living organisms. Do you take spoonfuls of 'Roundup' before going to bed to cure your nagging cough? Think about it.

Here's two videos by two eminent people in their field, have a look at them and then have a deep think about the benefits of garlic weighed up against the bad effects.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PGMbAQNXlCY?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xft0CLkgLpE?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline lottieguy

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
ooh err, I didn't realise it was so harmful, I don't eat much only I do like garlic bread occasionally. Some soup recipes call for it to be added but when I have tasted them I can't tell it's in there. The bit about eyes was interesting. I will have to do more reading. Cheers BG

Offline wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 01:57:58 PM »
I think Neem is seen as a cure all in India. Whilst working in India I was told that a paste made from the leaves was good for reversing the effects of Vitiligo. (The skin disease that allegedly turned Michael Jackson's skin white). Either the treatment doesn't work or the local Indians couldn't be bothered to use it as there was a high incidence of it in some of the nearby villages. Being naturally dark skinned the effects of it could be quite disfiguring particularly when they had large white patches on their faces. In my own case it only really shows in the summer when the parts that can tan do so but the bits that can't don't! 
http://www.plasmaneem.com/neem-oil-vitiligo.html   

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
I think Neem is seen as a cure all in India. Whilst working in India I was told that a paste made from the leaves was good for reversing the effects of Vitiligo. (The skin disease that allegedly turned Michael Jackson's skin white). Either the treatment doesn't work or the local Indians couldn't be bothered to use it as there was a high incidence of it in some of the nearby villages. Being naturally dark skinned the effects of it could be quite disfiguring particularly when they had large white patches on their faces. In my own case it only really shows in the summer when the parts that can tan do so but the bits that can't don't! 
http://www.plasmaneem.com/neem-oil-vitiligo.html

It's certainly popular in India, along with turmeric. I suppose that anything that remains that popular for that length of time must have something going for it - Kombucha included.

Vitiligo is quite unsightly, especially on dark skin. A fellow plot holder and great friend of mine (Tig) has the problem, sh's solved it by becoming the tattooed lady of the town. Where the white patches appear she gets herself a tattoo over it!