Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fancy a good fireside read over the holidays?  (Read 662 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Fancy a good fireside read over the holidays?
« on: December 28, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »

Here's something I came across recently.

Nice light gardening material, that's VERY informative, and best of all is now available second hand for just 0.01p - yes you read it correctly. Postage is around 2.80 - but it's still a 'peanuts' buy!

Click on the picture:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:13:34 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: Fancy a good fireside read over the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 04:21:42 PM »

Or 2.19 on E.Bay they also have The allotment pocket bible aswell ...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:23:45 PM by scary crow »
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »

That's even better scary! Does that include postage? Post a link to where it is on E-bay, for our friends in the 'Shed'.  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »

And yes that does include postage in that price ...
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »

I'm a fan of anything by Des Kennedy, The first book of his I read is "Living things We Love to Hate", I've been to a couple of his talks on gardening, he's a hoot :).  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   I've also been to his place on Denman Island a couple of times, it's like walking into a fairy tale. On the left of the picture in the link is a terraced hillside full of interesting plants, on the right their vegetable garden. I also have some of Beverly Nichols, a light read but I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 12:16:55 AM »

This picture of Des Kennedy's garden looks like my idea of heaven Annette!

Reading the write-up he sounds like a very interesting character. Certainly 'one of ours' I'd say!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 12:19:03 AM »

And yes that does include postage in that price ...

Thanks scary, I've just been having a squint at it. That looks like a very good bargain. Good hunting on your part! Are you going to get it?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:22:43 AM by Big Gee »

aftermidnight

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 03:49:05 AM »

Gee,  his books are such a fun read. When Des was younger he was a real carrot top, he IS one of the back to the earth types and I remember seeing a slide at one of his talks on Naked Gardening Day :). His garden is chock-a-block full, lots of old fashioned flowers like valerian, foxgloves and cup and saucers along with everything else under the sun. Denman Island is just north of where I am. Under an hour ride and a short 15 minute ferry ride and you are there.
Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 12:25:38 AM »

I wish I lived a bit nearer to him Annette, he sounds like an interesting chap - and he can't be bad cos he was born with red hair! But with a surname like Kennedy he's probably a distant Celtic cousin anyway.  Grin2:-)

aftermidnight

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »

Just poking my nose into another little book I read years ago, It's been republished after 50 years, "Old Herbaceous" by Reginald Arkell. I swear I was born in the wrong century, next on the list is "The Wartime Kitchen and Garden" by Jennifer Davies. Sometimes I find escapism to a different time is just the thing I need get the old blood pressure down. What has turned into a complete mess across the border is hard to get my head around :(.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »

I find myself doing the same thing Annette. I love imagining myself experiencing a different time period - pure escapism, or possibly it's the result of experiencing OUR horrible time right now.

That's why I love watching programmes like Heartbeat, The Royal, Foyle's War etc. etc. I'm also quite fond of the
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login dramas (I just love horses and traps/ carriages)

aftermidnight

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »

Ahhhh, 'Heartbeat', my must watch every Saturday night at 8, the first time it was shown over here I didn't get to see the series from start to finish. We are about the middle of the Series 15. Claude Greengrass is long gone, Vernon has skipped town and Aunt Peggy is now stirring it up :). Alfred has passed away and David has a new dog. Haven't seen any of the Catherine Cookson dramas, something to look forward to?

'A Touch of Frost' is back on but airs in the wee hours so I've set my recorder so I can watch at a more reasonable time. 'Vera' and 'Hinterland are also back on. 'Inspector Morse' and 'Lewis' are other favorites along with 'Midsumer Murders' but for some reason I can't seem to warm up to 'Endeavour'.
I also have been enjoying the ones produced in Australia 'A Place to Call Home', 'Miss Fisher's Mysteries' and the 'Doctor Blake Mysteries'.
I've bought a few series on dvd like 'All Creatures Great and Small'  and I have the 'Victorian Garden' series and just bought season one of 'Hetty Wainthropp Investigates'. So I have lots to choose from when there's nothing but garbage on.
I've also started watching the televised local city council meetings here where all bedlam can  break loose, actually it's disgraceful, but like a moth to a flame there I sit, grab the popcorn lol(1).

We do have a couple of good shows at least I think they're good over here but they are far and few between :(.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »

Sounds like similar tastes Annette! Maybe it's an age thing, I love watching things like Heartbeat because I love spotting the cars that I remember when I was a boy - a real blast of nostalgia there, along with the old tractors as well. Also the Yorkshire moors with it's hillside farms are almost identical to the environment I was brought up in, living on the side of a mountain on the edge of moorland in mid west Wales . . . . sigh . . . . it's also the reason I like 'Last of the Summer Wine' another classic, and again with Yorkshire hills & dales - just like being home when I watch that - identical landscape.

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »

So, you're a closet Yorkshireman, Gee.....I had my suspicions CW ;-)

Both my parents are Yorkshire, so you can see where my singleminded, survivalist determination originated.

Especially the survivalist bit. My father was a difficult man with serious emotional problems. Narcissistic to a 'T' and a bully if anyone dare disagree with him. My two brothers and I still bear emotional scars from his sudden, violent outbursts. Blimey, that was a lachrymose pool I dipped my toe  in just then.

Well that aside, I'm a very romantic old git who also loves to reminisce with those blast from the past tv series. I know we've had this subject on here before and I thought of you and Annette, Gee, when I was at the carboot 2 weeks ago and found a complete DVDs boxed set of Goodnight Sweetheart....2. Couldn't resist it. I wonder if they brought out boxed sets of Dixon of Dock Green or Z Cars. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »

Not surprising Tommo, after all Cumbria, Yorkshire and the North east were originally called "Yr Hen Gymru" (The Old Wales) - a lot of similar genes between those regions and ours, and it shows up in the characteristics to this day! Not so similar from the Midlands down to the south east.
Pages: [1]   Go Up