Author Topic: Pruning fruit trees  (Read 481 times)

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Pruning fruit trees
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:01:37 AM »
It's a bit early yet (as it's a winter job), but I thought I'd share this video with you, as I think you'll find it informative & interesting. A few tips for your next pruning session. Enjoy!

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WG7IsheFHuQ?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: Pruning fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »
 clap:-) Bingo Video plays now after deleting history.  chrs:-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 03:49:31 PM »
It's a bit early yet (as it's a winter job), but I thought I'd share this video with you, as I think you'll find it informative & interesting. A few tips for your next pruning session. Enjoy

Good one. Yes apples do tend to be pruned in the dormant period but can still successfully summer pruned. Also as pruning is about shape, ventilation, disease control and fruit improvement, pruning covers both pip fruit and stone fruit. Stone fruits - plums, damsons, cherries etc should really only be pruned in the summer months when the sap is rising. These fruits suffer from a serious fungal attack called silver-leaf which gets into the pruning wounds between September and May. When infected it causes the branches to die.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 03:58:14 PM by Poppa Tommo »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »
Summer pruning of fruit trees like apples is usually to aid fruit quality, by stopping energy going to barren branch growth instead of the fruit bearing branches. The rest should be done after the sap has gone down in late autumn and winter.