Author Topic: Linseed oil.  (Read 443 times)

toptaff

Linseed oil.
« on: July 20, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »
So...... is linseed oil damaging to plants?
Some trellising needs some attention & some of it has stuff growing on it. Obviously,I'd avoid the plants as much as possible but would the occasional splash do the plants much harm ,do you think?

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Linseed oil.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:50:39 PM »
I love linseed oil and use it on all my tool handles. I also love the smell.

Linseed oil is great for wood treatment it's made from natural flax seed, it has excellent preservative properties and water resistance. However, it is very slow drying and in cold or damp weather it may not even be worth applying it because it can just remain sticky for weeks. As a result many available linseed oils are not pure raw linseed oil but a mixture with solvents such as mineral spirits, often called ‘boiled linseed oil’ to speed up the drying, which makes them much less natural. So if you are going to use it, use the 'raw' variety - which is very slow to dry, but should be fine as far as splashes on to your plants are concerned.

One word of warning, rags used for linseed oil application can be highly flammable - some saying that they will sometimes spontaneously combust under certain circumstances, although I've yet to meet anyone who has had that experience.

toptaff

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:56:45 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice!!!

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:10:22 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice!!!

You're very welcome 'toptaff'  ThU:-)

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:58:03 PM »
1 teaspoon of golden linseeds in my supersmoothie every day. Full of omega 3 oils.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »
I think it needs pointing out that dear Poppa T is referring to LINSEED - just in case someone misreads/ misunderstands what IS being referred to here.

We don't want a nasty case of someone putting a teaspoonful of 'boiled linseed oil' in their morning smoothie!!!!  what:-o

You might want to do a bit of research on this yourself, because if I remember correctly boiled linseed oil isn't actually boiled (I don't know why they call it 'boiled' apart from it having the same drying characteristics as the old Medieval stuff). It has some additives in it to make it perform like it's boiled.

Today, "boiled linseed oil" refers to a combination of raw linseed oil, (stand oil) and metallic dryers (catalysts to accelerate drying).In Medieval times, linseed oil was boiled with lead oxide (litharge) to give a product called boiled linseed oil. The lead oxide forms lead "soaps" (lead oxide is alkaline) which promotes hardening (polymerisation) of linseed oil by reaction with atmospheric oxygen. Heating shortens its drying time.

The modern stuff can contain arsenic, beryllium, cadmium and other nasties that can cause cancer and birth defects. So DON'T go consuming it whatever you do. If you want it to smear on your woodwork - go to the ironmongers. If you want to consume it - go to the health food shop! It's also called flax seed oil there

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:43:30 PM »
Ahhhh, well spotted, Gee, I should have been more precise, even though I did say LINSEEDS, implying plural seeds.

So. For anybody thinking of adding linseed into their diet.....

ONLY USE LINSEEDS FROM A PACKET THAT RATTLES BECAUSE THEY ARE SEEDS.

Never drink linseed oil.

There I hope that makes it clear.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:43:29 PM »
 cwl:-]

You could have decimated half of our membership there Tommo!!!   ROL :-))
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:50:43 PM by Big Gee »