Author Topic: A new slant on crop rotation  (Read 458 times)

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
A new slant on crop rotation
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
Hi All take a look at this video see what you all think. Lets have some comments please look at all of the video. I subscribe to this site I know it's american but they have some interesting videos on here.

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: A new slant on crop rotation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
An excellent video Dave - more so because the content was a bit different. Hugely interesting was the bit about slugs & snails. I've been mulching (mostly grass clippings) for years, to keep down weeds & to boost the fertility (especially the Nitrogen content) in the soil. I've heard many gardeners over the years comment that they shy away from mulching because it attracts slugs & snails. I have to say, my plot has always been quite slug & snail free, so maybe mulching does indeed have the opposite effect! As I say VERY interesting.

I'm not sure if 'mixed' or what he calls 'polyculture' growing is very practical, although I accept the logic behind it, but caring for crops & making sure that you give a helping hand to what different crops require must be a nightmare, and when it comes to harvesting it's more like foraging in a jungle than harvesting a single crop in a single place. The jury is still out on that one.

It would be interesting to know where in the US he grows his crops and what pests he has to contend with. I just love the way they describe things, often totally inaccurately. Cabbage moths!! Surely that was a Cabbage White butterfly. And fancy calling the caterpillars WORMS! It also annoys me when they call soil 'dirt'. But there again it is America  ss:-(

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:48:27 PM »
 clap:-) I bet myself that you would like most of it. His crops look healthy enough in the video don't they.

Offline dimogga

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
I love mulch.
I know the places the slugs live and it's not in the mulch.