Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are these?  (Read 238 times)

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
What are these?
« on: May 31, 2016, 05:36:24 PM »

Hi Ya, just trying to find out what these are. This is a trial as I don't know if it resized as this computer is a different set up cheers. Yahoo by George I think I've got it
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:43:02 PM by lottieguy »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: What are these?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:40:57 PM »

What you have there are 'Ermine moth caterpillars' my friend. Quite spectacular aren't they? AND hungry! Collectively called 'tent' caterpillars - for obvious reasons, as your photos demonstrate. (The photos are perfectly 'sized' by the way).

The Ermine Moths lay their eggs on plants that provide food for their caterpillars when they hatch - usually hawthorn or blackthorn. Once hatched the tiny caterpillars then weave the web (which serves as a tent) over the plants and themselves for protection from predators (and to keep the food away from other munchers). The caterpillars gorge themselves, on the plants under their cocoon (they eat veraciously and can strip bushes bare in short time), before pupating into moths, and the cycle starts again. Clever innit?

You've got a REAL job on your hands there Lottieguy!  spf:-(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:46:55 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »

Hi Ya, Cheers BG I was completely stumped, never seen them or heard of them before. They are lovely to look at and have made the most amazing structure. Glad I got the photo's right. This new computer has a different way of of doing things I will have to try and learn. Happy gardening.

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:02:46 AM »

I get these - or something that looks just like them - on one of my young pear trees. They don't seem to do a lot of damage so I don't bother removing them any more. If they come again this year I'll put a photo up just in case they are something else, then the intrepid encyclopaedia, Gee, can get his magnifying glass out and track them down. In fact he can search the web for an ID
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 01:22:20 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I get these - or something that looks just like them - on one of my young pear trees. They don't seem to do a lot of damage so I don't bother removing them any more. If they come again this year I'll put a photo up just in case they are something else, then the intrepid encyclopaedia, Gee, can get his magnifying glass out and track them down. In fact he can search the web for an ID

VERY funny - I see you haven't lost your sense of humour whilst you've been away then Tommo (truth be known, that's why I missed you so much!).

If they're ermine moth caterpillar 'webs' then I'd be surprised if they don't cause much damage. Their huge appetite and ability to strip shrubs in a short time is their usual hallmark. As I said previously, hawthorn & blackthorn are their favourite meals - not pear trees.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up