Author Topic: When to water  (Read 334 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
When to water
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:04:59 AM »
Hi Ya, I was suprised at the plot on Saturday to see so many people running back and forth with watering cans watering the plants. What suprised me is we only had two days warmth and they were wayering at midday. The risk of scorching plants is high and they could loose them. Also I think evaporation could be a problem as it will draw more moisture from the ground. I tend to water early morning or in the evening. Still each to their own I suppose. Happy gardening

Offline Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
Re: When to water
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »
Quite right there Lottieguy not a good thing to do water in hot bright sun. Late at night or like the natural watering of the dew in the early morning.
My automatic watering at home is set for late at night (not set up yet  :-)snigger )

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »
Hi Ya, I was suprised at the plot on Saturday to see so many people running back and forth with watering cans watering the plants. What suprised me is we only had two days warmth and they were wayering at midday. The risk of scorching plants is high and they could loose them. Also I think evaporation could be a problem as it will draw more moisture from the ground. I tend to water early morning or in the evening. Still each to their own I suppose. Happy gardening

As you say "each to his own", but there's a right and a wrong way of exercising your "own". There's no hard and fast laws written down on the subject, and to be honest the problem of scorching is, I think, slightly exaggerated at times. However time tested wisdom dictates that the BEST time to water is in the cool of the day, either in the evening or early in the morning.

Offline Princess Starryshapes

• “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  • ¾ Plot Cultivator
  • throwing down my Starryshapes, Gardening styles...
    • Live Abundance
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:34:35 AM »
I will not need to water for about six weeks after the week of storms, everything is soooooo wet. Couldn't even make a decent mud pie in the garden at the moment, it would just go sloppy and who wants to eat a sloppy mud pie? aside from that, yes I always water in the evening or morning, just do it cos my common sense (and then later my dad) told me that things scorch in the midday sun and by the time its midday half the things that need watering in the hot weather are dry enough for the water to go right through and not soak into the pots- all our stuff is container and raised bed gardening.
“You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You-only you-will have stars that can laugh.”
―Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:12:02 AM »
Yep, early evening or early morning for me, too.

For things that scorch ( cucumber are notorious for this), I always aim (literally) to avoid the leaves.

Let's not forget that if you garden organically you are more likely to have incorporated plenty of fibrous, composted stuff into your soil, thereby holding  more water so that, in part, you obviate the need to be constantly watering.

Obviously, container gardeners need to monitor watering very carefully as the roots of their plants can't go 'looking' for water in the ground.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »
Agreed, before sunrise & after sundown. Preferably after sundown, to allow the soil to soak it up overnight without evaporation.