Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mint  (Read 562 times)

flowerpot

• Plot Cultivator
    • flowerpot
mint
« on: April 29, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »

Hi everyone,  I am flowerpot. I reside in a cottage with my husband.  We have a cottage garden.  Recently I planted some mini roses before this I dug out some mint that looked dead I also poured boiling water onto the mint to stop it coming back.  My question here is will it return at all? 

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: mint
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 07:59:18 PM »

In my experience mint is a pretty tenacious character! If you removed ALL the roots it won't come back, BUT and it's a big 'but' if you leave one little piece of root, then as sure as He made little green apples - it'll reappear!

Boiling water may kill most things, but unless you apply a really hot flame (e.g. from a flame gun) then most plants, especially mint or deep rooted weeds won't flinch. I hope I haven't depressed you, but mint, if it wasn't for it's delicious culinary uses would most certainly be re-designated as a weed, and a particularly tough one at that!  ss:-(
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:55:26 PM »

Not just tenacious but pernicious, too. Gets into every nook and cranny.

We confine ours to pots, now, stood in saucers with plenty of water. Mint hates being allowed to go dry.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »

Tell me about it, my herb box has been totally invaded by apple mint - there's just no stopping it. Once it escapes that's it! And when it gets fed up of spreading it's roots it starts seeding itself everywhere. A REAL bully of a plant that swamps everything around it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

dimogga

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »

You can make mint wine.

Mine is in the bucket at the moment.  Lots of young mint leaves, think like a tea picker and get a big load of it. Add a bag of sugar, about 3 kettles of boiling water, a chopped up orange (didn't have a lemon) and then leave to cool. Add yeast and then leave until it's not raging fermenting and then strain into a demi-john.

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »

Wow, that's sounds full of potential, dimogga.

If you add more of the orange and prime and pressure bottle when clear I wonder what the fizzy version would taste like.

Exactly (to the closest half pint) many leaves do you pick for a gallon demijohn's worth? I only ask because before I  found a recipe for elderflower champagne 30-odd years ago I was told to pick buckets of the flowers to get the right flavour. I spread them out on a sheet in the back garden to clean and snip the flowers off before cramming them into a large fermenter. Almost half the neighbourhood had an asthma attack!

The brew was undrinkable!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Pages: [1]   Go Up