Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sleepless slugs  (Read 255 times)

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
sleepless slugs
« on: April 29, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »

Hi Ya, I have heard a whisper around the bazaars that due to a mild winter there is an abundance of slugs. These slugs are apparently feeding 24/7 and pale in colour. I did hear a snippet on the radio but missed most due to doing something at the time. Slugs are a big enough problem as is alreday without this. Looks like I will be trying the mematodes this year and hoping they do work. Anyone else used them? Happy slug hunting

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login found this on line hope it works as I have never done this before

yahoo, it works. just tried it and it took me there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:54:40 AM by lottieguy »

wonky

• Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Re: sleepless slugs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »

Great news!!  usf:-(

Just going to make sure that I'm well stocked up on batteries for the headtorch and to check my stock of rock salt.

Let the battle commence!  >:D
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

I read that, and there's nothing new there really. I've tried Nematodes and to be perfectly honest I'm not impressed. They cost an arm and a leg, are only effective (if at all) for about six weeks, before you need another application and the temperature needs to be right for them to work. I get the nagging suspicion that it's a bit like spending money for "the Emperor's clothes". You can't see them, you don't know if they are working and you certainly can't evaluate their efficiency very well.

That article churns out the same 'old fashioned' stuff regarding slug and snail control- some of which is so vague and impractical that it's a waste of time. The other 'very yesterday' comment made by the "expert" from BugLife also shows that some of these so called experts are well  behind the curve when it comes to slug pellets. They always warn of the dangers to other wildlife. Using Ferric Phosphate pellets is totally safe to other wildlife, who the hell would promote the use of traditional metaldehyde pellets these days? Apart from the chemicals industries.

I've found that Ferric Phosphate pellets are VERY efficient and actually work better than the metaldehyde poisons that were so common , but are still being sold because people in their ignorance don't realise how poisonous they are to ALL mammals - including humans. It takes so long for people to wake up.

Check it out by clicking
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also check out the Shed's 'Gardening Wisdoms' page by clickingYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:23:09 AM »

Great news!!  usf:-(

Just going to make sure that I'm well stocked up on batteries for the headtorch and to check my stock of rock salt.

Let the battle commence!  >:D

That's probably THE most effective way of waging war on them - it definitely works, as long as you have the patience and the 'get up and go' to o on your regular night time raids. Sadly, I am in short supply of both those attributes!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »

Hi Ya, thanks for the input BG, I also don't have the get up and go to do night opoerations any more. I do have some Ferric pellets in my shed but have been a bit wary of any poison. I do have several beer traps so they can go happy. Waste of beer some say but I buy the cheap horrible stuff and keep the good stuff to my own self. I will tyr the pellets as I do have some pellet holders with covers. I would hate to hurt the very precious wild life as it is gatting rarer as we speak. Happy Gardening

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »

My 15 yr old dog is my slug snail hunter.......in the eve we go on patrol looking....theses days she has got so good at it she can sniff them out in daylight.....she just points me to the position. She just copied me at first.....noses them out......then they get banished from garden.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »

My 15 yr old dog is my slug snail hunter.......in the eve we go on patrol looking....theses days she has got so good at it she can sniff them out in daylight.....she just points me to the position. She just copied me at first.....noses them out......then they get banished from garden.

Wow! I've heard of "pointers" among gun dogs, but "slug pointer" that must be unique. I reckon you should breed from her and sell the pups fully trained to allotment growers!!  lol(1)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »

. . . .  I do have some Ferric pellets in my shed but have been a bit wary of any poison. . . . .

Hi Lottieguy - I think you'll find that Ferric Phosphate is NOT a poison. It is accepted as an organic compound and is not listed as dangerous, not amongs the poison peddlars, but amongs the good guys.

It's basically iron - which just goes into the soil as a natural compound (a bit like when you use salt - which is also harmless - except to slugs. Unlike ferric phosphate which stops them feeding (so they die of malnutrition) salt dehydrates them to death!

So you can use the 'ferric' pellets with confidence.  ThU5:-)

dimogga

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 09:52:23 AM »

All sorts of ways of hunting them down. Deliberately laying stuff on ground and then turning it over after 24 hours will find you some slugs to hand eliminate.
Going through stacks of pots will find some too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up