Author Topic: Kitchen caddy liners  (Read 329 times)

Offline lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Kitchen caddy liners
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
Hi Ya, I tend to compost most of my kitchen bits and use a caddy to collect them. Currently I use, what I have left , supermarket plastic bags. When i empty my peelings these bags get chucked away. I thought I will start using the compostable caddy liners as I collect a few buckets full of stuf to compost and make up a layer in one go. I have been trying to find out how long the bags take to break down and have so far found it;s any thing between 45 days and 2 years with some saying even after 2 years they are still pulling bits of bag out of the compost. Has, or does any one here use these bags and if so how long do they take to break down? and which make of liner do you use? I would be most interested to hear. I see lots of different ones are available from on line shops to the big supermarket chains of which sainsbury's was the 45 day break down. Happy gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Kitchen caddy liners
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:45:30 AM »
Yes we use them here at home for our 'caddies. They do compost, but I believe it's UV breakdown. If exposed to sunlight they break down quite quickly, if they're in the dark they take longer but do eventually break down. Little bits in the compost don't do much harm, and I've noticed that if the compost with the bits get dug into the soil they don't seem to appear again.

I find that they are much more convenient than anything else as a liner - but not totally perfect - they don't melt away overnight! However I also notice that when they get wet they stretch. maybe different makes of bags have different characteristics, i'll check which ones Her Indoors buys and I'll let you know lottieguy.

Offline lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
Hi Ya, well out shopping in Tesco I saw some caddy bags and thought why not I will give them a go. My compost stays in the bin for a long time (12 to 18 Months) so they shouls of degraded in that time. As you said Bg if there are onlt small bits left then no worries. happy gardening

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:13:27 PM »
Hi Ya, well out shopping in Tesco I saw some caddy bags and thought why not I will give them a go. My compost stays in the bin for a long time (12 to 18 Months) so they shouls of degraded in that time. As you said Bg if there are onlt small bits left then no worries. happy gardening

I'm quite happy with the ones we use - far less messy - and they do genuinely break down (sometimes a bit too soon, when they've been in the caddy a bit long!).

Offline Poppa Tommo

• 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
Same here, Gee.

Caddy bags are Ruth's domain. Everything goes into the caddy bags in the kitchen, even spud peelings.

The 'dalek' composter up near the house never produces compost that goes down to the allotment. Instead it all goes to top-dress the herb beds near the kitchen door every couple of years. It's amazing just how much green waste you need even to fill a bucket or two with compost.

that way I am not transferring potential Blighty stuff to the lottie. The stuff I dig out from the composter, bags and all, is usually fully broken down and full of worms.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Offline Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
Sounds like the same set-up as we have here Tommo. These days we keep a 'Dalek' at home, by the side of the herb boxes You're quite right about the waste that goes into the Dalek, it just seems to disappear into a very modest amount of compost. So rather than carry two compost caddies down to the hottie every few weeks (which is actually quite bulky), and then letting it shrink to compost on the plot, we 'shrink' it at home and top up the herb boxes with it, much less labour intensive.

Daleks are brilliant things, they should be called Tardis' because they seem to be bigger inside than out! It never ceases to amaze me how much stuff goes in there and it just seems to disappear!