Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lodger in shed  (Read 224 times)

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Lodger in shed
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »

When we visited the plot last week on entering the shed we noticed that we had a lodger that had set up home in some fleece that is hanging in the shed a perfect little round nest and sitting inside is a tiny wren she is not bothered when we go into the shed and the parents enter by a really tiny gap in the window where the glass dont fill the window frame properly it,s a tiny gap but they manage to enter and exit through it ...  It,s great to see and to know they are safe in there as no predator can get at them in a locked shed so really we have a 8x4 nest box ..  lol(1)
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
Re: Lodger in shed
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 09:08:58 AM »

Hi Ya, Brilliant, I enjoy watching the birds on the plot. I wonder if it is possible to phot ot. Don't use flash. We have a wren in our back garden and she is a busy little lady after bugs around the pots etc. on the plot we have blackbirds and they get a real paddy on when you are working the ground as they want the to cover looking for food and they have a real winge at me. My mate had a wren nesting in his shed a few years ago like yours got in though a very small gap, only she used to shout at him when he went in the shed so he biult  a temporary shed for tools till she left. Happy birding and hope youngsters are on the way.

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »

Nice one Scary be good to see a pic I got a wren on my plot but she cannot get into the shed  :-)snigger Also have a robin that appears when I am digging he swoops down to my feet to get grubs and small worms. Not a bit shy.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:33:40 PM »

That's fantastic!

It makes your heart glad doesn't it? You should get a web-cam in there so that we can all watch scary!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:42:50 PM »

My plot neighbour called me over to have a look at something he had found on Sunday. He has a lean to extension on his shed and had just started clearing it out when he discovered a nest on the bench. Pretty sure it is a robins nest with at least 5 healthy chicks in it. Needless to say the clearing out was abandoned!
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

lottieguy

• Happy Gardening to All Where ever you are
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »

Hi Ya, what joy, I love the wildlife and in some cases the more I see of some people the more I love the animals and birds etc. I hope it wasn't to traumatic for the mother bird and they are still feeding. Lovely to see and how lucky you are. Kepp us abreast of things please.

aftermidnight

• Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

Funny how a thing like this, changes one's plans. I had a wren build a nest in something up on a shelf in my garden room. Once I noticed it, we all stayed away until she was finished rearing her young. I have to say trying to get everything watered with a fine spray from the hose was a little difficult, I had to stand outside the doorway, What we won't do for our feathered friends.

Annette

wonky

• Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »

Looks like my plot neighbour can get on with clearing out his shed extension. This morning the nest is completely empty. I did think yesterday evening  that the nest didn't look quite as crowded. No sign of them anywhere so hopefully a successful fledging.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:47:57 PM »

They don't take long do they?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up