Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preservatives in food  (Read 342 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Preservatives in food
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:08 AM »

Back on the 4th of March I bought five bottles of milk on the cheap counter at Morrisoffs for 9 pence a bottle. I will have to check whether they had a use by date or a best before date indicated but either way that date was the 4th March. The milk was finally used up on the 17th March and was still perfectly ok for a cup of tea. In the good old days of doorstop deliveries it was not unheard of for the milk to have turned before it was even taken into the house. So what do they put in milk nowadays to enable it to keep so long and should we be concerned about it?

I've also noticed bread is keeping a good 2 weeks in the fridge without any signs of it going mouldy and in fact I have some Brioche in the fridge that was bought in February that is still showing no signs of going off.

Is it good that all this stuff is keeping so long or are the manufacturers adding something to extend shelf life that we ought to know about and even be concerned about?

In the same store on Friday 18th they refused to sell me some plums because the best before date was the 12th. Apparently they could have poisoned me and I would have then had to sue the company for selling me out of date stock and I would have received a massive payout from them. Richard heads!
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Preservatives in food
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »

It stinks (metaphorically speaking) in fact it doesn't actually stink when it should do!

It's very suspicious. I know hydrogenated stuff (like oil etc.) has been tampered with - so that it contains an extra hydrogen atom, that's been forced to bind with other molecules. This is of course to extend the shelf life. However that extra hydrogen molecule in the make-up of the food does not occur naturally in nature - that is probably why there's a problem breaking it down in the normal process of decomposition - nature can't handle it because it doesn't recognise it, it's an artificial chemical compound created by man.

When we take hydrogenated molecules into our bodies through the food we eat then our body has the same problem - it doesn't recognise the molecular structure and doesn't know how to process it. The result is that free radicals are produced in our body - now that's VERY bad news for our health!

It's all the crap that's forced upon us in the "developed" western world, by processed food manufacturers, where we are being poisoned on a massive scale. You only need to see the rocketing figures for cancer, heart disease and diabetes to realise that, especially when you compare those figures to the emergence of food processing techniques, inorganic fertilizers, herbicides & insecticides etc. A coincidence? I don't think so.

The only escape is to produce your own food - including the milk if you can, or source it from somewhere that hasn't tampered with it.

Bring back the days when your nose and eyes told you if things were OK to eat. Not a label that insinuates that a plum (of all things) becomes toxic after a certain date. You're absolutely right Wonky - we are being controlled by an army of 'Richard heads'  ThU5:-)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:02:39 PM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »

The date on the milk I bought was a 'use by' date so officially it should have all been binned by midnight on the 4th March. It would seem that since the 4th March I have been slowly poisoning myself - strange 'cos I've never felt better! Seriously though there are some foods that will deteriorate very rapidly after the use by date and become harmful. Though as you say G what nose can't detect a bad bit of meat or eye/nose detect the mould on a loaf of bread.

However a  'best before' date is purely for guidance and so long as food doesn't show any obvious signs of deterioration it is perfectly ok for it to be sold and of course consumed. Where the plums were concerned they had a best before date, a couple of them were bruised and needed to be binned, the remainder were in peak condition for the dehydrator having nicely ripened. So why don't the Richards at Morrisoffs understand this?
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
. . . . . So why don't the Richards at Morrisoffs understand this?

Because it's all about greed and money accumulation Wonky. They don't care about the ethics of the whole thing, they would far rather frighten the poor gullible housewives to buy another kilo of plums. Who cares about the 21,000 people (mostly little children) who die every day of hunger or hunger-related causes. "Chink-chink - no consience"  Angry:-{
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• It's Grim Up North!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »

Just an update on the brioche it was finally toasted and consumed yesterday 9th April. The best before date was 20th February. So 7 weeks beyond its best before date and it was still good to eat - can't even say it was dry just absolutely fine. It had been kept in the fridge not even frozen - something wrong somewhere!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »

Just an update on the brioche it was finally toasted and consumed yesterday 9th April. The best before date was 20th February. So 7 weeks beyond its best before date and it was still good to eat - can't even say it was dry just absolutely fine. It had been kept in the fridge not even frozen - something wrong somewhere!

A classic example of the crap they tell people today. I remember many years ago that the tinned food that Scott's team took to  the Antarctic had been discovered after he and Shackleton went further south than anyone before in 1901-04. The big story was that the food was still edible! They've moved a long way since then - now people are urged to throw everything away after a couple of weeks. Just like mushrooms, we are kept in the dark & fed on bullshit - as you've proved with your experiment Wonky.

dimogga

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »

Free app - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
helps people share food and get free food.

There are some strange things on there!
It is fairly new so most things are down in London area.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »

Good post Di - what an eye opener! I feel we should do or little bit o promote that app everywhere we can. So as a start here's a screenshot the site, just click on the graphic to go to the site.

Here's some sobering facts that I picked up from it:

1.    Over 1/3 of all food that's produced globally gets thrown away.
2.    All the world's nearly one billion hungry people feed on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe.
3.    The average UK household throws out 700 worth of edible food every year.
4.    If food waste were a country itd be the 3rd largest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world.

Pages: [1]   Go Up