Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greenhouse accessories going cheap  (Read 329 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
Greenhouse accessories going cheap
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:57:52 AM »

This came about because my neighbour is short of glass for his greenhouse rebuild so I said I would check out B & Q for him as I was going passed it anyway. Well it turns out that they don't sell greenhouses from their stores any more mainly because they reckon too much glass was getting broken. If you want a new greenhouse it has to come directly from the manufacturer and is delivered directly to wherever you want it (within reason). Anyway various accessories have been marked down. Automatic vent openers are 5 each. Metal bases for an 8 x 6 greenhouse are just 5. Greenhouse frames just 15 (if you can find one!). I came away with 2 lean to aluminium greenhouses 4 x 2 feet for 20 each reduced from 132. No idea where I'm going to put them but when the price is right ....... They also have blow aways for 7 each.

A word of warning though - B & Q are closing a number of stores down so there are some massive sell offs going on at the moment but the pricing is a total con!!! B & Q have sold the stock to a liquidation company who are then doing all the marketing and selling of the goods. They have set all the prices at recommended retail price and are then offering various discounts to tempt you to purchase. However most items are cheaper at the normal stores than at the ones that are closing down. Or to put it the other way they have actually increased the price of goods for the closing down sales - definitely a novel approach but it seems to work as the place was packed - strange how gullible some folk are.!

However it is still worth keeping an eye open in the normal B & Q stores for some greenhouse bits and pieces - you could just get lucky.

And by the way they don't have any greenhouse glass at all - well not in the few stores around these parts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:59:31 AM by wonky »
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Greenhouse accessories going cheap
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:15:15 PM »

Thanks Wonky - for any of us with a closing down B & Q near them this is good info. Unfortunately ours disappeared about two years ago!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 08:09:11 AM »

I didn't know that b&q closures was a national disease. Just noticed the big one in Exeter is on the way out. I'll drop in there and have a look when I'm passing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »

B&Q ARE (or were) a national disease - I never liked them, a bit in the Jewson's mould, you never knew whether you'd just been screwed or not as you walked out with the receipt in your hand! They always had ultra cheap 'loss leaders' but they were usually things you didn't want when you went there for something else.

Still if they've got a closing down sale you should be able to pick up a few bargains Tommo  ThU5:-)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up