Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: privet hedge  (Read 226 times)

bollard

• Plot Cultivator
privet hedge
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »

can i have some help please? Between us and the neighbour is a mixed honeysuckle nitida and privet hedge which isn't doing terribly well due to the proximity of buildings and limited light. Nevertheless it would be nice to try and improve/thicken/enhance it if I can as it is somewhat 'see through'.

I am trying phostrogen, diluted with rainwater but is there anything else I could try please?

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: privet hedge
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »

Phostrogen has a NPK ratio of 14:10:27 I believe. That's Nitrogen/ Phosphate & Potash). As you can see the highest content is potash (a key component in fruiting & flowering) then Nitrogen (for lush leaf growth) & phosphate (primarily to encourage root development).

So a feed of Phostrogen will not do your hedge any harm at all - it should perk it up. Dilute it in water - it can also act as a foliar feed, but DON'T get any undiluted powder on the plants themselves.

Pruning is the key to thickening up a hedge. The privet is no problem. there's an old saying that says "the best time to prune privets is when the shears are in your hand"! I.e. any time and regular.

The honeysuckle you have to be more careful with. As a rule of thumb it's best to prune them about a third back in late summer - after they have flowered.

I hope that helps!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

bollard

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »

Re: I hope that helps!

yes thank you  :)

spuds

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »

just a little add on to what BG has told you
cut the hedge so that the bottom is wider than the top that way the whole hedge gets light
a sprinkle of blood fish and bone around bottom of hedge  as a long term feed would help as well
Spuds (mick Ford)
is that the kettle I hear boiling
Newton Abbot Sunny Devon ( most times!)

bollard

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:34:11 PM »

right i'd get some blood fish and bone thanks

i'm afraid that it is a little too late to modify trimming shape much as the hedge is already tall and scrawny but i have planted some fresh privet underneath which will be able to get some light.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:32:22 PM »

Privet cuttings root very easily. You can probably fill the gaps with rooted cuttings from your trimmings. You can start them off in pots, & then transplant them once they've 'struck' or just stick them straight in the soil. I've seen trimmings root on bare soil without any help before now. they have a zest for new life!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »

A good layer of well rotted manure will help it ..  Would also help it if you could reduce it,s height and encourage some growth from lower down ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

bollard

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:12:16 PM »

thank you both  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up