Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delphiniums  (Read 357 times)

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
Delphiniums
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »

Delphiniums going to try them this year....bee friendly ones......not sure to try seed or plug plants or plants.....

found Prince Charles supplier.....You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

at mo waiting for fir tree and bay tree to be moved to make beds.

Any advice?

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Delphiniums
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »

Delphiniums are beautiful and great for bees, but they are not totally robust, as some people think - they do need a bit of tender loving care, unlike many perennials you can't just plant and forget them. keep the blood, fish & bone handy. They love well-drained soil, but are hungry feeders. This means adding plenty of grit on heavy soils to help with soil drainage. If delphiniums sit wet in their dormant winter season, they can die, so make sure you prevent this. I've had that problem with them over the years - too much wet in clayish soil in my neck of the woods. The best results I've had is in raised beds that drain well.

You say you're clearing fir trees to make room for them so you should have a well drained spot where the tree roots have been, but I guess the soil will be impoverished, so bear that in mind.

Personally I like seeds BUT plugs and especially plants are sometimes a better (but a more expensive) option. If they like their spot and you feed them well you should have years of enjoyment from them.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »

Fir tree and big bay bush gone.......now have space.....south SW facing......sheltered against the brick wall of house .....

now belong to local allotment society get 50% off Kings seeds through trading shed....so selection is

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

hoping to get to trading shed this weekend and get compost for holes...and some grit.

Might treat myself to a posh one by front door.....

have noted poisonous so will have to keep an eye on grandkids.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:46:01 AM »

Fir tree and big bay bush gone.......now have space.....south SW facing......sheltered against the brick wall of house .....

now belong to local allotment society get 50% off Kings seeds through trading shed....so selection is

hoping to get to trading shed this weekend and get compost for holes...and some grit.

Might treat myself to a posh one by front door.....

have noted poisonous so will have to keep an eye on grandkids.

The list of toxic plants is way longer than non-toxic and if you grew only safe ones, you wouldn't have many to look at. Have you ever tried eating ornamental plant material? Most are horrible and ectremely bitter - probably nature's way of telling us to keep them out of our mouths! Besides it's a job to get children to eat vegetables - much less are they likely to make a meal out of your delphiniums!

I wouldn't overly worry about the grandchildren Lottielady.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lottylady

• Full Plot Cultivator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »

Well I got the Delphinium bug.....drooling over seed catalogue dreaming I have a huge walled garden big herbaceous beds.... cwl:-]

As usual over order everything.....now puzzling over the actual spaces I have.....plus get 50% discount as member of local allotment society.

Looking at lots of flowers .....so got to whittle it down on this very windy day.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »

You be careful, interest can soon turn to obsession and addiction!!  lol(1)

Brien989

• Plot Cultivator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 06:47:57 AM »

How did the attempt go? Got any pics to share?

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:53:41 AM »

Welcome to the shed Brien 989 from across the pond. Midnight is from across the pond Vancouver Island.
Hope you enjoy browsing around on here nice to have you onboard.  BOF)

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:13:40 PM »

I hate to admit this but when I tried growing delphiniums years ago I wasn't very successful usf:-(.
My neighbor up the street from me had some beauties but then this gal dare not leave her fingers in the soil for more than a few seconds at a time or they'd take root.
Such beautiful stately plants, maybe I should give it another go, if I started seed now and kept them in the greenhouse through the winter I should have a few plants to set out in the spring.

Annette

aftermidnight

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
    • Bean, Peas & Other Legumes forum
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 04:18:54 PM »

I'd also like to welcome  you to the shed Brien, nice to see another from my part of the world here. Tell us about your garden, what do you like to grow.

Annette

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »

Yes, a warm welcome Brien, glad there's someone on here to keep Annette company on that side of the pond!
Pages: [1]   Go Up