Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New (to me) Dehydrator  (Read 313 times)

wonky

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
New (to me) Dehydrator
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »

I might have just treated myself to a slightly different and bigger and better dehydrator! Well ok I have.

It is equipped with 10 stainless steel trays giving about 16 square feet of drying space, digital controls with settings for 2 time periods and 2 different temperatures, removable drip tray and all stainless steel construction with the exception of the doors which are made from armoured glass. Only downside is that it weighs in at 16 kg. It is Excalibur's model EXC10EL

I've given it a quick test to make sure that it's all working and am now on the lookout for something to dry though I might well make a start on the pumpkins that are left over from last year.
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

scary crow

• Global Moderator
Re: New (to me) Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:48:18 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I might have just treated myself to a slightly different and bigger and better dehydrator! Well ok I have.

It is equipped with 10 stainless steel trays giving about 16 square feet of drying space, digital controls with settings for 2 time periods and 2 different temperatures, removable drip tray and all stainless steel construction with the exception of the doors which are made from armoured glass. Only downside is that it weighs in at 16 kg. It is Excalibur's model EXC10EL

I've given it a quick test to make sure that it's all working and am now on the lookout for something to dry though I might well make a start on the pumpkins that are left over from last year.

Wow thats a great looking dehdrator wonky a very good name when it comes to dehydrators think thats like the one tommo has you will be able to dry even more stuff now keep us updated with it,s performance ..
ThU:-)LOOK CLICK BELOW TO VIEW DRAWINGS  ThU:-)

dimogga

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »

That's the top of the range one I think!

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:05:09 PM »

Looks like a nice bit of kit wonky!

I think it is the same make as Poppa Tommo's but bigger if my memory serves me right. You'll have some fun with that!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »

So, yours is bigger than mine is it, Wonky? I really like my 9 tray version but it looks like they've really gone to town on this one. The drip tray sounds like an improvement ... I sometimes get sticky residue at the bottom of mine...I was going to say 'in my bottom' but I thought you would misunderstand and conjur up images!!

I saw you mentioned drying blueberries in another post...what about squidging a whole tray of them with a rolling pin and spreading them out befor drying. Then crumble them up and vac pack them, that way you won't have hard little bullets but more of a blueberry flake to add to you yoghurt.

I think I'll try that with some raspberries as well.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 02:13:27 PM »

So, yours is bigger than mine is it, Wonky? . . . . sticky residue at the bottom of mine...I was going to say 'in my bottom' but I thought you would misunderstand and conjur up images!!

what:-{  what:-o
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wonky

• Username: leaningshed
  • It's Grim Up North!
    • The Allotment (photos on Facebook)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 02:15:32 AM »

Sticky residues can be quite a problem! I dipped loads of raspberries and blueberries in boiling water for a few seconds to damage the skins so that they would dehydrate quicker but the result was that they leaked sticky stuff into the bottom of the old five tray dehydrator which to say the least was not easy to remove! I've just done a load of raspberries in the new machine but not pre-treated them at all, just laid them out whole on the trays. It took about 2 days to dry them but they have retained all their original shape and size and look like they have just been picked off the canes except they are as light as feathers and of course taste excellent.

A question on dehydrator sheets - does anyone know if there are any differences between the ones supplied by Excalibur which are very expensive and the various other ones that are maybe a tenth of the Excalibur price?
Some photographs of my allotment starting from day 1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »

Sticky residues can be quite a problem! I dipped loads of raspberries and blueberries in boiling water for a few seconds to damage the skins so that they would dehydrate quicker but the result was that they leaked sticky stuff into the bottom of the old five tray dehydrator which to say the least was not easy to remove! I've just done a load of raspberries in the new machine but not pre-treated them at all, just laid them out whole on the trays. It took about 2 days to dry them but they have retained all their original shape and size and look like they have just been picked off the canes except they are as light as feathers and of course taste excellent.

A question on dehydrator sheets - does anyone know if there are any differences between the ones supplied by Excalibur which are very expensive and the various other ones that are maybe a tenth of the Excalibur price?

No idea mate - over to Poppa T methinks  CW ;-)

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 11:13:06 PM »

When I bought mine a few years ago (still going strong) I didn't have the luxury of choice of drying sheets, so, strictly speaking I can't advise. My thoughts are that you might get one of each for now and make a comparison that we can all benefit from.....very kind of me, isn't it, to get you to spend your money, Wonky!

I do remember, though, buying some very similar silicon-type oven sheets which certainly felt the same, and which did last a long time being subject to serious oven temperatures. Unlike the mild temperature exposure in a dehydrator.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »

On the subject of dehydrators, has anyone spotted this new kid on the block?

The price is far less eye-watering than the Excalibur and the comparison table certainly makes for interesting reading.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 11:41:04 PM »

That's got a BETTER spec. than the corresponding  Excalibur model Tommo.

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »

Yes, agreed, plus, here is a review I found

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »

I always freeze my raspberries and blueberries. Whats wrong with that?????????? I find them to be fine I just defrost them overnight and have them for breakfast with yogurt and I find them ok.

Or do you know something I don't ????
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:49:48 AM by Westheathdave »

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »

I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with freezing Dave, it's just that dehydrating is a different process - horses for courses as they say. Each has it's own merit, a bit like eggs you can have them fried, boiled or scrambled, there's nothing 'wrong' with any way of cooking them. The same with pickling stuff, you wouldn't stop pickling something if it could be frozen would you?

You can sit down with your beloved and watch telly whilst eating dehydrated fruit from a jar - like you would with sweets, having a lapful of frozen or wet and defrosted raspberries or blueberries is a different prospect isn't it? As I say 'horses for courses'.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:33:50 AM by Big Gee »

Poppa Tommo

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 06:49:12 PM »

I always freeze my raspberries and blueberries. Whats wrong with that? ??? ??? ??? I find them to be fine I just defrost them overnight and have them for breakfast with yogurt and I find them ok.

Or do you know something I don't ??? ?

I have frozen strawb's, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines etc straight out of the freezer and into my morning super smoothie - Gee will be testament to the daily boost we have down here - there is also dried banana, sometimes dried gojiberries. Makes the smoothie lovely, chilled and.....well....errr....'smooth'.

Like the big man says....there ain't no rules when it come to eating and enjoying the food you love...you just carry on and do what you like. Grin2:-)

Westheathdave

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »

clap:-) Well that's a new one for me never ever tried dehydrated anything ah well you learn something new every day they say.

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 12:10:44 AM »

If you ask nicely Dave I'm sure Poppa T or Wonky will send you a little sample  CW ;-)

Tommo's smoothies are to die for. On the way back on the train I thoroughly enjoyed a bag of dehydrated banana rings that Lucy (Princess Starry Shapes) put in my lunch box. Gorgeous - far better than a tin of 'travel sweets'! Now can you think of a way she could have packed some frozen fruit for my journey on a train in sunny weather? See? Horses for courses  ThU5:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up