Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snowdon Queen pear tree  (Read 169 times)

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Snowdon Queen pear tree
« on: October 11, 2015, 10:51:41 PM »

I originally got my Brenhines Eryri (Snowdon Queen) pear tree from Ian Sturrock & Sons (click on graphic below) as a two year old seedling.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I also got an Afal Ynys Enlli (Bardsey Island Apple) at the same time from him. Both have an amazingly interesting history. The Bardsey Island Apple has come from a single old tree that was found on the famous holy island in north Wales (the legendary "Island of 20,000 saints" three pilgrimages there are equivalent to a pilgrimage to Rome apparently). At the time it made news headlines as the rarest known apple tree in the world - possibly bred centuries ago by the monks on the island. The Snowdon Queen pear has been cultivated from three old trees that were found on the slopes of Snowdon. Both have been single- handedly rescued from extinction by Ian Sturrock

Click
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginto read about it.

When I got them the weather was awful, so I just dug them in as a temporary measure until I had a chance to find room for them. They have been in the corner of my herb boxes bed at home ever since. They are a ridiculous distance from each other (less than 3 feet) and if you wanted to find the WRONG place for them this would be it!. You guessed it - they have now established, and the job of moving them has become a headache. Amazingly they seem to love their spot & this year they've both really produced.

The pear is exquisite. It's large, firm, full of flavour and exceptionally sweet. In fact I'm not exaggerating when I say it's the best I've ever tasted!

The apple is also nice, with a slight lemon flavour. You can read about it's history by clicking
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you have room for just one pear tree then I highly recommend that you find room for the Snowdon Queen. Incidentally, how are the scions from these two trees that I gave you coming along Tommo? You wait until they crop - the pear will blow you away!

Anyway, here are a few photos:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:04:32 AM by Big Gee »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Poppa Tommo

• Senior Multi Plot Cultivator
  • Username: Robw349
  • 'Gardener' the definition of 'Optimist'
Re: Snowdon Queen pear tree
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »

Wonderful.

As you saw today with your own eyes, all 4 of the Bardsey Island scions you sent me in February we successfully grafted and the 2 Snowdoqueen Pears both took to their rootstocks too.

I'm really looking forward to the first fruits from these as yours look so inviting.

Thanks, mate
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

Big Gee

• Global Moderator
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is wasted
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Trust
Re: Snowdon Queen pear tree
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »

You are VERY welcome my friend  ThU:-)

You'll really love that Snowdon Queen pear - it's in a league of it's own! It makes Conference taste like supermarket rat's piss in comparison  lol(1)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1]   Go Up